Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

What novel changed your life?

Is there a novel you read that made such an impression on you that its message changed your perspective on life? If so, which novels had that kind of impact on you and how?

"Lace" by Shirley Conran.

"The Pursuit of Happiness" by Douglas Kennedy.

"Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck.

A Christmas Carol. It taught me to be compassionate and kind to others. Also, a mindfulness book and a Buddhist book which taught me to think kindly, never to look at the news (negativity) and to give and be compassionate.

• JerryL

thoue are good things  to learn

I would say that all the novels written by Charles Dickens has changed my life. Some  science fiction books written by Asimov, A.C.Clarke, Theodore Sturgeon, James Blish, Robert Block, H.G.Welles, Joseph Campbell, and Arthur Conan Doyle.

None...........

The Bible. The teachings of Christ have improved my life drastically and spiritually. 

• Cousin

"The Mists of Avalon" by Marion Zimmer Bradley, which is the retelling of the King Arthur legend from the 180 degrees opposite perspective. Like the movie "Wag the Dog". Makes one think. 

• .1 month agoReport

I wouldn't read anything by her.  Bradley and her husband were literally monsters.  https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jun/27/sff-community-marion-zimmer-bradley-daughter-accuses-abuse

• Prince

Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny showed me what religion and politics could be. 

Acts Of Faith by Iyanla Vanzant. It taught me to balance out my life and throw away peers/friends thatn are damaging to my mind, body and spirit. 

The Wild Road changed what I do, not my life though. It pointed out how much of a hard life feral cats have, I've had a feeding station and water bowl at my place for the past 14 year for our local cats, thanks to reading that book.

• j153e

"Slaughterhouse-Five" introduced the concept of moments above and beyond time and space, those that are eternal.

• Lv 7

that one too