Matthew asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 1 month ago

Can I use cable coaxial for regular OTA channels?

My apartment comes with hook up for cable but I don't want cable, just want regular OTA channels. If I plug the coaxial cable into my TV, will it get me all the OTA channels? I only ask because I'll have to buy an extension and don't wanna spend $10 if it won't work.

Thanks in advance!

yes, but with the coating on the wire you will be lucky to get 1 or 2 channels. It's like using a paper clip to get a signal. It can be done but you will be lucky to get anything. You can build a can antenna or a DIY antenna out of clothes hangers or, buy a cheap antenna. those would be better than using a coax cable. If you don't have the money to buy one look at you tube for DIY antennas.

get an antenna,a rabbit ears set it on a window sill facing the nearest  metro area

no.. you have to have a antenna of some kind.

That won't work because there isn't an antenna at the other end of the cable.

No. You need an antenna to catch OTA digital channels locally. A coaxial cable is for cable TV only and cannot be used for the purpose you asked about.

• khalil

you need .....

1- a good antenna on the roof toward to the tower..... a free path ...

2- a good coax cable (low loss) .... 75 ohms

3- if its length is more than 50meters, you should use a line amplifier(20db)....closer to the antenna.

4- any question?

• WayneH

Why don't you ask the manager?

• Eva

It will not. You'll need an antenna for that.

A cable feed only provides cable TV services, and a subscription might also provide the free public channels which are also broadcast OTA.

No subscription = no cable.

If you want OTA channels then you’ll need a suitable antenna (indoor ones rarely work for modern digital broadcasts) and the coaxial cable running from your antenna will either need to feed into a terrestrial digital TV decoder or into a modern TV which has a compatible terrestrial digital decoder built in. An external terrestrial decoder will usually connect to your TV via HDMI, and if your TV lacks ARC (Audio Return Channel) then you’ll also need to connect audio cables between the box and your TV. HDMI was never originally intended to carry audio, but devices which support ARC use HDMI to feed audio as well.

The three most commonly used coaxial cable types for video applications are RG59/U, RG6/U and RG11/U. RG59/U is available with either solid copper or copper-clad-steel centre conductor. It's suitable for basic analog TV antenna feeds in residential applications and for basic CCTV systems over short cable runs. It may not answer to your question but it gives you the understanding what you need to do.