Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Would you buy a car with rollback mileage?

The dealer advertises the car with 100k miles but when I checked Carfax it says 200k miles.

I have a 2000 Land Cruiser with 255k on it and I wouldn’t hesitate for a second if asked to drive it from coast to coast!(except the mpg really sucks) Vehicles these days run  for a lot more miles than back in the days when 60k-70k on a car was approaching it’s death! 

But back to the ?, I would never buy a vehicle that there is any question on the validity of said vehicle and I would let the dealer know the discrepancy you discovered. They may be in the dark about it.

No.  Never.  I actually considered that a few months ago.  But I held out for one with guaranteed low miles for only a few thousand more.  You cannot get a warranty on them and will not be able to resale them.  Regardless, you do NOT want even a Lamborghini for $1,000 with 200,000 miles.

Source(s): School of hard knox.

no           .

Haggle with the dealer if you feel you can't live without that car. I would walk away.

Carfax doesn't count for anything.  Unlike a registered dealer, Carfax faces no penalties for providing information that is wrong.

Check the actual odometer.  If you're suspicious, have a certified mechanic look for signs of tampering.  If the odometer has been messed with, a mechanic will be able to tell.

Selling a car that way is illegal.

• Bort

Don't buy that car and report it. Rolling back mileage is highly illegal. Here is info on where and how to report it:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/equipment/odometer-fraud

No. Selling a car that way is illegal.

No. In fact, that's illegal. I would report it to the police and to the DMV.

No. You never know the real condition of the engine or transmission. I would never BUY or SELL a car with that many miles on it. I had a Fiero with over 216k miles on it and just gave it away.