Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 month ago

Just ranting about my transportation issues. Could someone give me advice or encouraging words ?

Hey, I am a 18 year old girl who does not have a license or a car and I’m about to graduate high school. It sucks because I have to rely on Uber to go to and from work. In addition, I have to rely on Uber to go to and from school. It’s difficult trying to save up for a car when most of my pay check goes toward transportation and my parents make me pay for everything myself. I have to buy food, clothes, school fees and water.It really sucks! On top of that, my parents have not been good at teaching me how to drive. Every time I ask they make up excuses. It’s like what’s wrong with teaching me something that would help me in the future. I somewhat know how to drive because it’s like a go kart and my dad would let me drive every now and then. However, once every two weeks is not enough. I need weekly practice.  Sometimes I get upset that they carelessly had children because I didn’t ask to be brought in a life of struggle. Taking Ubers is embarrassing for me now. Any advice or encouragement pls?

I forgot to mention that a year ago we moved away from my old neighborhood to a new one. I am not supposed to go to my school but I didn’t want to start over for senior year. So please don’t bring up school buses. My mom clearly did not think about how I would get to school very well.

Your choice not to change schools was your choice...so you dont really get to complain about that.  Parents move for a wide variety of reasons...if they didnt have any choice, would you still hold this against them?  

If you have the money to commute to school daily by uber...you are doing just fine.  

Get a bicycle or scooter. They're cheaper than cars and don't need insurance.

Look at it like this- You're only 18 (I'm old enough to be your grandfather, so that's why I wrote "Only 18"), so you've got a lot of time left to learn to drive, and make enough money to get some inexpensive wheels later on. And don't forget there's more to car ownership than having a car. You've also got to pay for insurance, gas, and maintenance. In the meantime, try to get by with public transportation or a bicycle, and remember that your mom & dad have more important things to worry about than where and how you're going to go and get to school. Oh, and by the way, nobody enjoys the struggles life throws at us, and if you think you're struggling now, just wait. Life gets harder after you leave the nest.

Wo bist Du?  Where are you? What is law on bicycles on road there? Moped law? Does local church have possible drivers instruction help? Transport help?  How far is school from home? 2 miles is brisk walk, short bicycle ride. 5 miles is long hour walk, brisk bike ride 20 minutes.

You are 18 you can save up enough money for driving lessons.

• Anton

Generally anywhere in the world you can get a 50cc motor-scooter (moped or motorcycle)

In California you can get a permit just by passing a written test and a few bucks.

"I didn't want to start over for senior year".

"My mom clearly did not think about how i would get to school".

- you are the one that doesn't want to go to your local school

Water comes out of the taps. If you don't like the water that comes out of the taps, buy a Brita.

You should get a job near school or near home, so you can eliminate some uber rides.  Or start taking public transportation if there is some.

"I didn’t ask to be brought in a life of struggle" I hope these are the worst struggles you will ever experience.  My guess is you are going to learn what a real struggle is. 

Since your parents don't seem to give a damn about you and your life, you are going to take charge of the reigns yourself.  No, I don't mean buy a horse.  Take driving lessons and ask the driver how you can practice, because your parents won't allow you to drive their car.  You may have to pay someone to take you out to practice.  So save all you can, and sneak their food when you can.  Such unreasonable parents.  But you have to deal with it as best you can.

• Edna

Boomer:  Surely you don't believe one word of her rant!

Stop blaming your parents . You can take the school bus to school. You are 18 you can save up enough money for driving lessons.😉

• .

Public high schools have to provide transportation.  Riding a school bus would save you money.

• Edna

Hunch:  California isn't  comprised of only the LA & San Francisco areas. Almost all the other areas in the state DO run school buses. I was in the LA area recently, & I saw a great many school buses in the LA streets. . Most public schools DO have to provide transportation for their students..