Is veganism a phase for most people ?

I thought I'd be vegan forever but now I eat meat. U all know me on this section years ago trolling as a vegan. I was opinionated and didn't think ,logically. I'm not saying all vegans are like that but each to their own 

• 7 days ago

I've now been vegan for more than half my life and I'm in my fifties, so I suspect not. I know plenty of other long-term vegans.

No, you have it confused with homosexuality

• Joseph

Every last vegan or vegetarian I've known in the last 25 years is now an omnivore, and they all eventually admitted they cheated and ate meat in secret the entire time. They got tired of their secret shame. 

• Joseph

Being vegan is a choice, eating meat is an instinct.

• Megumi

Yes it is. Most people have enough brains to stop such an absurd diet. PeTA tries to make people hysterical, so that they cannot be reasonable and objective about diet. People who think properly realize PeTA uses fake videos and tells outrageous lies to try to indoctrinate people with its absurd message.  

• polly

What do you mean "to each their own"

What,do you think that just because you're no longer a vegan that we should overlook your propensity for being a violent & psychopathic stalker & all is forgiven?

Nah,You didn't have the ability to think logically back then & frankly I don't think you'll ever be able to be normal contributor here,regardless of which diet your sick mind subscribes to

• Anton

Hi Ana.   Yeah, the vast majority of people that go vegan go back to eating normal healthy omnivore diet.  I really dislike that "eat meat" thing -- normal human being diet is about 80% vegetable.

It may well be so for younger people still learning about their adult selves - although some of us seem to take several decades! We make up our own minds about how we can help the planet survive, for example, and how we want our bodies and minds to be. Based on research (second hand mostly!), our own experiences and inner wishes (intuition; in-tuition?), for example. I wouldn't worry too much about whether we on here think it is a phase or growing evolution - which does take time. It took time for dog fighting and bear baiting to decline and end - although it may possibly still go on in some places. Same with smoking, institutional racism, etc. Progress and evolution...….

• Winston1 month agoReport

“The planet is fine. The people are fucked.” – George Carlin

I think it would fall somewhere in the ballpark of the newly classified anxiety disorder spectrum with anorexia. I think some people go through the phase of doing what veganism does for them which I'll explore shortly, but I also have seen people who can keep it up for a lifetime.

While I've met plenty of people experiencing maturity and psychological and emotional wellness who just don't like meat, being vegan often has some sort of vitriolic connotation. Hindus do it for physical and spiritual purity, the straight edge kids largely cited animal rights, and other will report being vegan for any number of personal health reasons. Of the people who just don't like meat; one eats fish sometimes, another craves (plant based) fats.

Again, what I'm noticing is nobody says or seems to by their actions just love only vegan food. They are restricting their intake from animal products for other reasons such as rights or health. I haven't parsed out the one isolated point such as controlling what goes into your body when other areas of control have lost personal agency such as in pubescent girls who become anorexic. However that theme of purity in it's varying forms keeps coming up.

To end on a short case study; one of the most staunch vegans I know grew up relying on unreliable parent figures. She is doing the same in adulthood with her partner and is frankly an unofficial prostitute, with him strictly for the financial support. But she is also staunchly religious and will always scold you for being "impure" as it were for eating liver and the like as that is a filter. You are eating the filth the animal got rid of. To take a stab in the twilight, aka educated guess in this case at least, the veganism and overcompensation in the direction of "purity" is a deferment, a projection of other aspects of themselves or lives where they feel impure. Young people, especially from religious backgrounds may work through this phase when they are confounded with sexual thoughts. At 20 when you see your friend peeing and push down the excitement of the fantasy to do golden showers, I think that or the like manifests into dietary anxiety issues such as veganism.

• John

Its my last phase, but not a strict vegan, I still have meat 2 or 3 times a month.

• mrh-slos

That makes you  a flexitarian

• Brian

In an article by Michalak, Zhang and Jacobi Which state that a vegetarian/vegan diet causes omega-3 and vitamin B-12 deficiencies that affect brain processes and therefore “increases the chance for the onset of mental disorders.