Apartment on craigslist ?

Came across a apartment they told me there in the hospital and to look at the apartment first. They only accept online applications but it doesnt ask for personal info scam? The pictures look decent and I have a address advice needed.

Do you have a question?

• Mark

NEVER rent an apartment on CL without a live inspection.  Too may scams.  It's easy to copy another listing and ask for $.  Very common CL scam.  Always see the apt first.

Yes there are a lot of scams on CL but not every single rental listed there is.  You just have to be careful.  Go look at it. Talk to the onsite manager.  If they have never heard of that person then it s 100% a scam. 

Most landlords do online applications these days. 

Why would they ask for "personal info scam"?  That's a red flag, obviously.

• Hannah

That is 100% an absolute scam, no doubt about it.  When I owned a house that was on the market a few years ago, a scammer tried to send people from CL to “look at it first”, just like this scammer is telling you to do.  I had people coming and attempting to look at my house that I still lived in, while I was at home.  The ad is a scam, don’t even waste your time going to look at it.  They took the photos from some random online apartment ad.  They’ll send you a fake application.  They will ask you to send them your deposit money, then they will take your money and run with it.  This scam has been around for years.  

Sounds like a scam.

Many Craigslist rental scams originate overseas and the scammers have a variety of excuses on why they can not meet you in person such as:

- I am traveling for business;

- I am out of town for a funeral; or

- I am in the hospital.

The excuse is to get you to let your guard down.  I lets you know that they can't meet but also plays on your sympathies so you feel bad for them.

Proceed with caution.

-

tell them you will meet them in the hospital to sign the lease....if they still make up excuses, its a definite scam

Could just be the 1st step in the rental process, or could be some sort of marketing ploy, or could be a scam. The possibility that they'll accept your application without any personal info, is zero.

maybe you should check those apartments out

• John

Be very careful.  Craigslist housing rental ads are very often fraudulent.  Take steps to make sure you are really dealing with the owner.