I have a half basement and the retaining wall is leaning, I want to fill it in with gravel and leave a crawl space, can that be done?

Update:

I also have 4x4's going to the opposite wall and 6 floor jacks in concrete up to the floor joist.  

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

If your retaining wall is a structural wall, then you need to do more than hide it.  You need to repair it!

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

You NEED a structural engineer.

• 1 month ago

it is physically possible, yes. is it safe? that's a question for your local government's building department. the danger, of course, is that the wall will eventually cave in and the house wall above it will crack or collapse

• 1 month ago

Without seeing it, there is literally no way for anyone here to know.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Tj
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Get a engineer out there before your home is gone.

• Edwena
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Well, you will need to chop some holes in the floor for drainage. The walls will eventually crack and you will have and underground pond. That is not a good situation. You might check to see what it would cost to have a demolition crew break down the leaning parts of the old wall and then erect a new straight wall and keep your space. You might also worry about support of whatever is on top of the wall.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.