Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

What are conditions for returning a dog..? ?

My sisters been bugging me and my dad for months about getting her own dog. I got one about 5 years ago and learned the hard way how to raise a puppy, and kinda didn’t want another puppy, mainly bc of their energy and not being able to sleep thru the night. My sis kept obsessing she can’t get a 1 or 2 yr old puppy bc “she cant train them from the beginning”...

Kept asking her all the Qs, will you get up every few hrs to let her outside, will you clean up her pee and poop”, but I kind of already knew she wouldn’t bc she doesn’t even clean up after herself... (Her motto seems to be “ignore it and dad will eventually clean it” so our house is always a mess... She’s even left the milk/butter/cereal on the counter...) 

So fast forward, I wasn’t thinking too much and was kinda wanting a girl dog bc we have two boys and they’re older so I felt kinda “lonely”.. I technically adopted the dog bc she wasn’t old enough to.

Got her yesterday and sister slept with her, until the puppy got up before 7am on Sun morning and sister left her in the crate yelping and complained “she couldnt sleep all night”, exactly what I warned her of... Now second night, she left the dog in the crate about 9pm and the dog started howling and the other two joined in so I went and “rocked her to sleep” so to say.. 

Since I made the mistake of actually adopting, I don’t know if I should really return her, or tell my sister this dog is all yours...? What should I do..? 

I’m not someone who buys and returns dogs all the time, I stuck with it with my first dog but I prepared for him and this girl was a little more spontaneous.. My sister and I are teens so no one spends time together and I figured a puppy could help and didn’t think it all the way through... 

So do I stick with this dog when I can’t handle the sleepless nights, when I got her for my sister, or give her away while she’s still young and more likely to be adopted?? (She’s 3 months) 

Ultimately, as the adult doing the paperwork, it is your dog- not your sister's.

You are 100% responsible for its care and wellbeing.

If you are not prepared for that, return it as soon as possible.

• *****

Return the dog from whence it came. It doesn't deserve to be neglected by your sister, and if she can't even keep up care in the first couple days, it will only get worse from here. 

• Ocimom

If you are still teens, then its up to your parents to return the dog - not for you to decide.  Talk to your parents about it.  If she's not gonna be responsible for the dog, then WHY was she allowed to have one?

How did you adopt a dog if you're not an adult?

• Gabriella1 month agoReport

I’m 21 but not the “adult of the house”

You knew or were almost certain your sister would NOT take care of the dog.  You do what is best for the dog, it becomes 100% yours (since you adopted it) or IMO  =(you should return it to whomever you adopted it from).  If she raises any complaint, tell her her actions proved you right, and the puppy goes back since she LIED and will not be responsible even for the first 24 hours.

You should have never gotten a dog. Either return the dog and never get another one or keep the dog and YOU take care of it 

Given the fact your sister is very lazy and won't even clean the house, do chores or anything you should have known getting her anything other then a robotic pet or a rock was a very bad idea. 

Since YOU adopted the dog you own it. Of course the dog is howling, you keep the poor thing in a  cage. Throw the cage out. Either take care of the dog YOU adopted and throw the cage out and stop being lazy or return the poor thing and never get another pet

Return it .You will be doing both the pup and yourself a favor.

In that case put the poor dog up for adoption and dont even think of getting another until your mature enough to be able to take on the responsibilities required

There are no 'conditions' and each situation would be different.   Reading through your story, I'd suggest it's up to you to make up your minds based on what's best FOR THE PUPPY.

• Jack H

I feel really sorry for the dog having to cope with your bloody awful family... return it, some real human might adopt it...