Assignment Ideas for my Photography Class?

I have an assignment for my photography class where I have to take a photograph that “speaks up” against the themes of sentimentality, exoticism, and wonderment in photography. The photograph either has to be a self portrait or a portrait of at least one other person. 

I was thinking of trying to do something with a satirical view, but I could also do something more serious.

Do you guys have any ideas?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

if the goal is not to include sentimentality, exoticism and wonderment, I would think it means to take a picture of a person who does not appear interesting or unusual (the person does not provoke thoughts of exotic, wonder or sentiment)

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

I've never liked taking pictures of myself, always feels better to put people in situations and picture them.  I'd suggest asking a family member or friend out to do something, with the knowledge that you want to take pictures. While getting food, or going to a park, just take tons of pictures. My teacher always told me to focus on composition, and we did all our shots in black and white. Which I think is good to do, but if you have the option of color, look for interesting contrasts. 

A fountain with light, windows reflecting onto someone, bright foods. This is broad though, I would say that actual shape of the photo, where you're standing is good to think about too, experiment with your angles. 

I wish you luck, hope it helps. 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.