I have been assigned to standby jury duty?

What does that mean, I don't even know what to do if Im going to be chosen as a juror?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Means you have to hear the case just like a regular juror but you'll only be called upon to vote if one of the real jurors is removed. You're like a theatrical understudy who has to know all the lines but doesn't get to perform unless there's a disaster.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Sally
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

That means you are going to get paid big bucks for doing nothing.

• 1 month ago

It means you check each night (online or by phone) to see if they want you to come the next morning.

• 1 month ago

It means you've been called up and should be prepared to serve.  But they're not sure if they'll actually need you for a jury.  

Jury duty is an honor and a privilege.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

i think it means they dont know if theyre going to pick you yet

• martin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You follow directions to find out whether you have to go in person the next day. Sometimes, it's to call a phone number and see if your group of jurors must report tomorrow. If you go in person, you will wait to be called and sent to a court room.

• 1 month ago

They need 12 jurors for most cases. Not all get0accepted so they will call up 30-40 people for the jury pool. Out of those they pick 12. If the case is going to be a big one they will pick 3 alternates to sit in on the trial, in case one of them gets sick or gets disqualified. I am not sure if they are calling you a substitute instead of an alternate but it sounds like it.

• Kyle
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The standby system of jury duty requires that people called to serve check in by phone rather than showing up at the courthouse in the morning. They only have to go in if and when they are needed.Feb 3, 2020

if you are chosen.  you have to show up at the courthouse.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.