Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 month ago

Has your taste buds changed as you got older?

I loved chocolate when i was younger and yes i still do love chocolate but i find myself craving salty snacks like goldfish crackers, pretzels, chips etc a lot these past few years.

Normal? Im 27 years old female

• Absolutely, your tastes change on average every 7yrs. I love things now that I wouldn't have eaten as a child or even ten yrs ago. I'm a former prof. Cook so I'm constantly trying new things to see if I like them. Also, there are things I didn't like when I was alot younger that I STILL don't like. 😊

• Servus

When I was child I was a lot more picky about what I ate. Sometimes I wouldn't eat at all if I didn't like what was being given to me. Now I eat pretty much anything but draw the line at bugs.

Yes, I eat spicier and more exotic foods than I did when I was younger.

That's normal. I've actually started liking sweets a lot more.

• Mr. L.

They have, I’m 55.  Also, medications, even vitamins you take can effect your tasting ability. 

• Beth

A person's taste bud sometimes does change over the years.  

I am 70-years-old, and my taste buds remain the same as it was when I was a teenager. 

Yes, they are now shot to pieces and I can eat really hot food that would have set my mouth on fire when I was young. What I like and don't like hasn't changed, I don't think.

I believe so, there were food that tasted so good when I was younger, now I try those food and it's not that great or the flavour has diluted lol

Your taste buds do change over time, and also food preferences can change over time. This can be partly biological/physiological, partly access (if you are eating something regularly you will start to crave it) and partly changes in health.

I think as people get older, they start to be able to tolerate foods that they would not normally eat when they were younger, and that they also change preferences as time goes by. I also would rather eat a salty/savory food item over a sweet food item, unlike when I was younger, and I have also learned that foods I generally hated when I was a kid are now foods that I actually love, such as brussel sprouts and cole slaw.