Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationGambling · 1 month ago

Can you help me understand tHe mind of a slot machine addict?

OK, so my room mate is a slot machine addict, and I don't know much about that other then they owe me money, and never have any. Now the rent here is cheap, and they don't have any expenses so they must have a lot of money to spend at the slot machine, and they never have any money. What is the appeal, why do they do it?

and considering they know they are losing lots of money, but keep doing it

To understand gambling is to understand addiction.  Yes, addiction.

Addicts have repetitive, self-destructive behavior.

Those of us who are not addicts, try to make sense out of addictive behavior. We may think.....

Just stop smoking

Just don't drink alcohol again

Don't go to the casino, stop betting

Stop over eating

Walk away from the drugs

It is not that simple...because if it was, there would be no addicts. Right? 

By definition, addiction is a craving, a compulsion,a habit, a fixation....etc.

What causes an addiction is typically deep, unresolved issues, which typically, but not always, resulting from some sort of unresolved emotional trauma. Addicted individuals tend to self medicate with bad habits in order to escape reality or get help.

It is a horrible idea to lend or even give money to a gambler. Enabling someone to continue self-destructive behavior is being an accomplice, and does not help, but hinders them.

Recently I was talking with someone who struggles with anxiety, social anxiety. I cannot understand such an affliction because I love to socialize. He asked me if I have any fears. Yes, I have this unfounded fright of snakes. It is irrational, I know it is, because no snake ever even bothered me. He said imagine a snake is on your shoulder right now...times that feeling by 1000...that is high anxiety. Now I get it.

Addiction is much the same...to those of us who do not suffer from addiction, we cannot understand it. But it is real.

Hi all, its not just slot machines, its any form of gambling, lottery, horses football etc, any gambler on one discipline, will go to another and on, until they have lost an awful lot  money, not eat, and get into incredible debt, ive witnessed this in my family, 

the only person /s who benefit from gamblers, are the bookies, and brokers, and they have always got NICE cars and houses, all paid for by the mugs that gamble

"The hormone that makes you feel gloriously happy is dopamine and the chase for that next dopamine rush is what keep some people making decisions that would otherwise seem unwise. For some people this can culminate in a substance use addiction and for others it can result in other compulsive behavioral addictions, such as compulsive gambling."

Needless to say, slot machines are designed to have enough wins to give players enough dopamine highs to keep them playing. 

If only there was a slot machine addict you could ask... 

just farmin mah points

• Petter

I think it's hard or even impossible to understand, if you haven't been there yourself. I haven't so I don't understand, but like any addiction, it probably involves some kind of reward, feeling good about themselves, a sense of achievement the few times when they are actually winning, which they at some point must have been or they wouldn't continue waste money on it.

But it's still all strange and impossible to understand, imho. You aren't doing anything in a slot machine, just pushing buttons hopeing for random luck. There's no skill inolved what so ever, it makes no sense...

yes i can. 2pts

• Joe1 month agoReport

sp 2 pts for saying you can answer my question, but deciding that's good enough?