Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceAnthropology · 1 month ago

Are racial and ethnic inclusion a sign of nation-states becoming empires?

It seems to me that civilization begins as city-states and nation-states that limit citizenship to an exclusive race and/or ethnicity (the ones who create it). However, as the nation-state grows into an empire, it becomes less homogeneous and more inclusive. Is this a fair assessment? I ask because I've been noticing how the USA is becoming less white. Obviously, the USA used to be a white Anglo nation-state—citizenship was limited to whites of Western European descent. And I'm not faulting whites for that since they created the USA nation-state. But now the USA isn't as white as it used to be. Non-whites and non-anglo whites have been granted USA citizenship and allowed to participate in the US government, etc. At the same time, the USA has expanded its influence globally. 

So, to conclude, it seems as if the cycle of a nation is from race-based or ethnic-based homogeneous nation-states to racially and ethnically heterogeneous empires. Is this fair to say? If so, why is it that nation-states become more diverse as they become empires?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

No

It is a sign of nation states.

No nation state exists without homogenizing a variety of ethnicities.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

The changes are the result of a white supremacist inside the White House. The changes can be reversed as early as next January, when a Democrat occupies the White House. The GOP tends to want to exclude minorities because they are now the party of white males. As long as the GOP is in power, the USA will try to be more white but it can never be all white because blacks, Asians, native Americans and Hispanics make up a sizeable percentage of the population in the USA.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No. Races are a recent "invention". It wasn't a factor before the 17th century.

Every nation and empire has a dominant language though, and empires impose theirs on neighbouring ethnicities(=cultures)

• 1 month ago

I don't think there's any correlation between the advancement of a society and the shape-shifting ethnic demographic contained within. For example, Japan is a homogeneous society, yet their country is experiencing a population decline because not enough Japanese are having kids. So now they have to widen the gate and let more foreigners in. The United States had many, many slaves from Africa at one point. And now that they're free, there is an enormous amount of African-americans, which btw is good, I mean considering the crap they've been through.

• RenKovy1 month agoReport

Also, Nazi Germany was becoming an empire, yet they saw to it to keep their society ethnically unified.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.