paige asked in HealthOptical · 1 month ago

What’s the difference between strabismus, amblyopia, and convergence insufficiency?

I’m trying to do a speech on the condition I have, but I was diagnosed at such a young age that I have no idea what it was called - my parents always just told me I had a lazy eye. I wore a patch over my eye for a while, and while my lazy eye has gotten better, it often appears when i’m tired, zoning out, or not focusing. I see double vision when my eye goes lazy, and the laziness happens in both eyes. It used to only happen in one eye, but now it happens in both, even though I now wear the same lens prescription in both eyes. I’m 18 now and my eyes have never truly been fixed, although I can kind of control it when I want to (a party trick of mine). My depth perception is fine. I’m nearsighted. I know you can’t give me a diagnosis, but I just want to know which one I have so I can properly write this speech without sounding like I have no idea what I’m talking about!!

Lazy eye and amblyopia are the same thing. Evidently, you had this as a child because the appropriate treatment for it is a patch. Sometimes when an eye turns, the brain shuts it off to avoid double vision. It sounds like this is why you had a amblyopia. Sometimes if the good eye is patched, it forces the eye that has been shut off to start seeing again. Of course if you see double once the eye is turned back on, you have not improved the situation. I'd be interested in knowing how they helped your eyes be straighter. If your eye turned all of the time, you would have strabismus. Some other words for that are tropia and squint. If your eyes were aligned when you looked at distance and failed to converge when you looked up close, you would have convergence insufficiency. Im not reading much in your question that tells be that that is the case. It sounds like you have a high phoria. A phoria is a tendency for your eyes to be misaligned that can be prevented with neural input. If your eyes tend to turn out, it is exophoria. If they tend to turn in, it is esophoria.

• Marc

Why dont you just look up those terms yourself online? Why do you need to ask other people to expalin what is wrong with you when the answers to those things is readily available online. Are you that lazy?

• paige1 month agoReport

like, i didn’t even know convergence insufficiency was a thing until i researches strabismus and amblyopia. so yeah, i’ve done my research. now you do yours instead of posting unhelpful answers.