Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Do you really need to take a dog to dogs classes?

I never had a dog before. I have been researching about it a lot. I really want a dog but I don't like the idea of taking a dog to classes. I am very introvert and don't like social things. That's why i want a dog to keep me company. Is it really necessary to take dogs to classes? Can't you just train them on your own?

• "Do you really need to take a dog to dogs classes?"

As I've had dogs most of my life, starting in January 1950 (summer, here), and have been a training-class instructor, I don't NEED to. But when I get my next GSD I WILL join a local training class - not only does that supply an experienced person who can observe both my efforts and my pup's reactions then COACH me, it ALSO gets my pup used to paying attention to ME during the classes AND helps her be confident that no other dog is going to attack her during the class.

In other words: YOU MUST.

• "I never had a dog before. I have been researching about it a lot. I really want a dog but I don't like the idea of taking a dog to classes. I am very introvert and don't like social things."

BTW - I was raised in remote rural areas where I MIGHT see 1 other house in the distance. When I was 11 to 13 years old there were only 2 children my age. Their fathers were brothers, so Jocelyn and Malcolm were cousins, but totally unrelated to me. So some weekends I borrowed Mum's bike and pedalled the 10 miles beside the river, then up a high hill to their side-road. At the age of 20 I decided to get over being an introvert so joined the local Little Theatre Society in the small city I was teaching in. I asked for a SMALL "bit" role. I ended up with about 4 sort-of "bit" roles - but between them I was on-stage most of the play, and when I went off-stage I had to change costume in about 10 seconds then go back on stage. That was achieved by my costumes being like heavy padded dressing gowns. As soon as I was behind the curtain I undid my waist rope, turned my back on one wardrobe mistress and aimed my arms back. She slid my gown down and towards her, leaving me in just my under-pants. Whereupon I put my arms high and the other wardrobe mistress slid the next character's robe down my arms and quickly tied a rope around my waist to hold the gown in place for on-stage decency.

On the night my parents were in the audience, my 6 years old brother amused the audience during a phase where I was The Lord High Executioner, and Lady Precious Stream or her husband kept getting cross with the Lord Chamberlain and ordering me to lop his head off. By the time I had the Chamberlain bent over with his neck horizontal and had started raising my oversized scimitar, whichever royal was to order me to "Wait!" and then to release the Chamberlain, he/she had to contend with my brother egging me on with excited encouragement such as, "Yes, Leslie - chop it off!"

• "That's why i want a dog to keep me company."

A well-bred, well-reared, well-trained pooch can be a marvellous companion. I'm looking for a bìtch pup at the moment

But YOU are NOT yet ready to have a dog. So I wonder what YOU regard as "research".

🐕‍🦺1: You haven't mentioned which BREED or breed-mix you want.

🐺2: You haven't mentioned whether your property has a back door opening straight into a well-fenced yard.

🐕3: You haven't mentioned whether you OWN the property, or RENT it. If you rent it, do you have your landlord's written permission to keep a dog of THAT type and adult size on HIS property?

🦊4: You haven't stated how long on a school day or work day the dog would be "home alone".

🐩5: You haven't stated whether you would seek a pup in the age range 8-to-10 weeks old, or a half-grown pup in the age range 5-to-10 months old, or a young adult.

🐶6: You haven't stated whether you have found a vet you like, and whether you have transport to drive Pup & yourself to that vet's clinic for check-ups and vaccinations.

🦮7: You haven't stated what places you have found where you can safely walk Pup on-leash, for bodily exercise plus mental exercise following interesting scent trails. Nor what tasks you want a dog to perform for you. A dog without tasks can get up to AMAZING mischief.

To supply that information, click the [Edit] under your question, click the [Add Update] that will appear, then start typing into the empty area.

• "Is it really necessary to take dogs to classes?"

-------------- YES!! -------------- (I should have been in bed 1½ hours ago, so I won't repeat that 1000 times....)

✔️1: To reduce YOUR errors - sheesh: You admit that YOU have never had a dog! I wonder how many you have even handled and groomed and bathed. (And picked up the faeces of....)

✔️2: To help "socialise" your pet and give it some VARIETY in its probably boring life!

• "Can't you just train them on your own?"

I CAN - but won't with my next pup.

When I was given my first pup I was living 40 miles from the nearest city (I suspect that the city had NO training clubs back then), on the wrong side of Mount Messenger, was only 10 years old so had neither a car nor a driver's licence. Dad was managing a butter factory in an area where the only electricity was what the factory generated (and he needed Mum to help during some parts of the process) - so they couldn't take 3+ hours off each weekend to take me & Pal to the city and afterwards bring us home. So I had to learn by trying things out. There WAS an occasion when optimistic me had let him run free beside the factory's side road that continued to a coal mine and Lake Taupo. When I heard a big coal truck-&-trailer coming I tried to command Pal. But Pal decided to walk towards this strange noisy thing, went under the truck's front bumper, and emerged from the back of the trailer looking rather startled.

Anonymous YOU can't.

When you have thought a LOT more, you will also need an experienced dog owner (20 or more years of owning & training dogs) to go with you & observe the pups' behaviour and advise you "Okay" or "Probably not" or "DEFINITELY not".

Kreaky Kiwi - first pup in 1950, GSD trainer & breeder as of Easter 1968

• P

once your puppy is fully vaccinated it is important to socialise him in every way possible. Usually your vet may organise a "puppy party" at his practise, you just show up with your pup and sit there with other puppy owners as you let them  mix mingle and play together. It is essential that you socialise a puppy from an early age. That means plenty of walks where he can be exposed to as many outside sounds and sights as possible. If you do not do this then you will end up with a very nervy anxious dog on your hands who may end up afraid of everything. I understand that you are an introvert, you don't have to take him to dog classes if you are uncomfortable with that, but you MUST make sure that he gets out and about on a daily basis, let other people stroke him etc......good luck! Please take a look at this video for tips on how to socialise your puppy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z1IUA3aJ14

Youtube thumbnail

you never HAVE to go to classes you could train them yourselves however if this is the first time you ever owned a dog i recommend an older dog that is a lab or golden retriever

• Ocimom

If you've never had a dog, then you've never trained one and it may be difficult to work with a puppy.  Sure you can watch training videos online, or you can hire a private trainer to come to the house and help you train.  I strongly suggest you get an adult dog that has some basic training which will be a lot easier for you to deal with.

noooooooooooooooooooo

• DK52

You're anti social, but wish to own a highly social pack animal? Hmmm. None of my dogs have ever entered a classroom however, every one of them were highly socialize which is a must for a happy, healthy and "safe" dog. Mind you, I am retired and have 24/7 to train and teach my dog/s. I also studied from professionals and long time dog owners to teach me how best to train and teach my dog/s.

Socialization means a dog owner exposes their dog to other dogs, cats and people (elderly, children and adults). Without such training a dog will likely have bad manners and and land their owner in court with highly legal and medial fees for the person/s the dog bit.

A Dog may not be right for you. They need to be properly exposed and socialised to as many different types of people to prevent fear or even aggression towards people that aren't you. One bite from that dog can land it on the euthanasia list and you going to court. As a first time owner a really good trainer is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED because you're bound to come across something you can't handle properly on your own and will need the guidance of a professional. Really good classes he really don't have a lot of people in them anyway. 

You don't actually "need" to, but it's a good idea.  You may not like to socialize, but your puppy or dog SHOULD be socialized with other puppies/dogs and people.  Since you've never had a dog before, let me explain to you how this works.  You don't just take a puppy or dog to a class TO BE trained once per week.  The trainer trains YOU how to train your puppy or dog, and then you need to practice the lesson/lessons of that week several times daily at home.  Sure, there are training tips you can learn how to do online, but it's still better for the puppy or dog to be socialized with other dogs and people.  In a class, there will be distractions, and that puppy or dog needs to learn how to pay attention to you rather than those distractions.  That's a very important part too.  So, especially as a first time dog owner, I'd definitely recommend going to a dog training class.  Who knows?  You may like it more than you think you will, and just might sign up for more advance classes/training, or even decide you'd like to participate in something like agility or fly ball.

• Lorraine

Ditto..

It's easy to train your dog not to crap everywhere, you just yell at it. If you want it to bark when you say "speak" and things like that then I'd get a book or maybe go to a class, that is harder to get them to do.

Sure. They'll lend you a dog from the animal shelter.