Does aging affect the number of your waking hours?

Or in order words, as you age is it natural for you to get tired more easily, and not be able to stay up until late at night like you used to do when you were young?

I am 63 and I haven’t been able to sleep more than 6 hours a night since I was in my twenties. I usually stay awake until 2 or 3 am and wake up around 8:30. 

I am 68 years old. Yes to both. I wake up halfway through the night. And more often to go to the bathroom.

Most older people feel the need of a nap during the day, possibly because they don't sleep as well as they'd like to do during the night. It is perfectly normal to be like this.  I have my afternoon nap in my recliner chair because, if I go to bed, I don't want to get out of it again.

NO I ALWAYS HAVE NEEDED lots of sleep like 9 or 10 hrs and esp now when Im fighting germs.

Yes I do become tired more easily yet, at the same time, I cannot always get to sleep at night even though that is all I actually want to do.  My mind becomes overactive I think and that prevents me sleeping.  Once I do fall asleep though I tend to get at least 8 hours, so that's good I think.  I do not stay up late, in bed by 10.30 most nights and read for just a short time.

DON'T GET ME STARTED! I use to sleep all night, now I can't stay awake until 10 o'clock and wake up at 1:30 and can't go back to sleep until 4 o'clock unless I take something to help me stay asleep. I do find that being active in the day helps me sleep a little better at night.

• Jojo

I think that all depends on the individual person and their temperament, natural energy levels, and fitness, and general health, not on their age. When you consider that quite few over 70`s and even older, complete the London Marathon.

Me personally, (now aged 74) have `always`, since a teenager, needed a lot of sleep, whilst a friend of mine the same age, is still hyper and on the go  all day and still has a job falling asleep at night. 

Also some people tend to be `morning people` and others come more alive in the evenings. 

Jmo.

ONLY if you let it effect you. I have no prolbmes with sleeping and I am 65 years old. Mostly I think if ppl become more active on a daily basic they would not have this problem..Sitting around the house all day will do a number on you.

So become more active, even if you have to join a gym. You will find that you will sleep better, Even a doctor will tell you that.

Don't let your mind rule your body.

Yes. And  I nap in the afternoons too. 

Forr most people there's a gradual tendency in that direction, yes.