Anonymous

How does one work full-time and attend college?

Assuming you wake up at 7 am, 

and go to sleep at 10 pm, that's 

15 hours/day times 7 = 105 hours/week.  

If you work 40 hours/week; 

that leaves about four hours

after work to attend classes

and finish homework. 

How does that work? How are most 

people able to balance work/school?!?

You don't need 9 hours of sleep a night. I awoke at 6, worked 8-5, walked to school, studied while eating fast food, went to classes from 7-10, took bus home. Did most homework, research for term papers, etc, on weekends (in addition to cleaning apt, grocery shopping, baking bread & preparing lunches for the week, etc.) Graduated in 2-1/2 yrs since I maxed out course hours & went to summer school.

Get organized. Be totally committed. "You do what you gotta do."

It's a challenge. But I'm pursuing a Master's while working a hectic full time+ job. 

I go part-time to class in the evening, and do my homework on weekends. 

Lots of people work and go to school. I worked swings for my undergrad degree and went to school in the day time

for my graduate degree I worked full time and went to school online,

It is very difficult -- and you won't be getting that much sleep.  Your assumptions are off.  A full-time college student is supposed to be spending 40 hours a week attending class and doing homework, studying, reading, etc.  For every hour in a classroom, the student should spend 2-3 on homework outside of class.  So, for a student that takes 12 hours of classes per week (the minimum to be considered a full-time student), they would spend a minimum of 24 more hours studying.  That is a total of 36 hours. The good news is that 24 hours of studying can be spread across all seven days of the week.  

Time management, discipline, organization, and spending less time on y!a than Pearl.

• edward

In university i gave up my life to get a jump start. I worked after school and on days off (not sure about other kids but i spent a few summers before university with a full college course load in grade 11 and 12 so i had 2 days off a week and one of my days only lasted 3 hours in a classroom. I was working at a job making well above minimum wage so i didn’t have to work full time (none of us did) and my memory is solid, just listening to the lectures in university is enough for me, some of my books are still new

Your calculations are a little off. If people work a 9-5 job, they take classes at night. At my school, night classes are 5:30-8:30, one day a week for each class. You can take 3 classes by coming to school 3 nights a week, or 4 classes by coming 4 nights a week. You get home with a couple of hours to study (9-11), then sleep from 11:30- 7:30.  Then you have the weekends to work on projects and study some more. Sleeping from 10-7 is 9 hours a night. Most people can get along on 7-8 hours. 

I know people who work overnight at some place like the Amazon warehouse, come to classes in the morning, and then go home and sleep- say 1:00-8:00. Then they have time to study before going to work at midnight. And they have days off when they can do more.

Lots of us have done it. 

i think it only works if you have a good memory and dont need much time to study

it is a grind, that's for sure. I did it my last semester while in college [had started my job, so didn't need to be finding one]. First, nine hours sleep a day just wasn't happening [still doesn't; i don't need that much -- seven is normal for me and i can do six for at least five days in a row.]

There's also travel time that one has to allow for ... mine was an hour a day [30 minutes one way]. I'd eat in the car, twice a day. Then again when i got home at night while reading my texts. Part of my work week was on Saturday, frequently 10 hours [five 6 hour days and one 10 hour day = 40 hours, right?]. I skipped all sport attendance and didn't have a social life outside work. Still, with the estimated 60 hours a week going to college full time, plus 46 hours for travel and work ... there wasn't much time left for necessary tasks such as grocery shopping.

After graduation, i went on salary there and the 50 hour work weeks [five 10 hour days for this salaryman] seems like heaven. I even had time to spend some of the money I was making!

Source(s): grampa

Work days, college at night. Leaves little time for other things but that's sometimes the cost of an education.