red mark from needle?

i donated blood a couple weeks ago and I developed a red, dime-sized mark where the needle was. it itches sometimes. two things that happened: the needle didn't go in the first time, they had to wiggle it a little, and it didn't end up helping anything because they told me i have low iron stores in my blood and i cant donate for a year.  

what is it? and what should i do about it?

it's not

red,

it's pink and raised around where the needle went in

• Linda

I had the same thing happen to me and had a red, dime-sized mark where the needle went in, because they had to wiggle it, causing a puncture mark from the needle being pressed in deeply and injuring the tissues around the injection site. Basically, the woman who drew your blood didn't know what she was doing and had trouble withdrawing your blood and it irritated and hurt you. In a few days it should feel better. Put antibacterial cream on it and keep a loose bandage on it until it heals. 

Source(s): Been there
  • GA41

It is probably a small amount of blood which collected below the surface of the skin. It will eventually be absorbed by the body. There is no issue unless it develops and infection, in which case it would begin to get inflamed and possibly develop yellow pus pockets. What you have described does not sound like it is infected. You should be o.k. to leave it alone.