Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicTelevisionDrama · 1 month ago

Are any other Star Trek Series worth watching besides TNG?

I just finished watching all 7 seasons of The Next Generation and finished 2 of the 4 movies so far. I really enjoyed this series and I'm wondering if I'd enjoy Deep Space Nine or any of the other Star Trek shows.

I would argue that every Star Trek show has been less good and less original than the show before it.  Mind you, I haven't watched the new ones.

The original looks cheesy by today's standards of effects and storytelling, but it was absolutely GROUNDBREAKING for it's era.  It showed what hard sci fi could be, wrapping in brilliant social commentary and some accurate predictions of future technology into a show that seemed like a silly little space romp but was SOOOO much more.

TNG was a really good rehashing and updating of the formula, BUT...the social commentary was much more timid and didn't really push any boundaries like TOS did.  

DS9 fiddled with the formula at first and tried to tell a politics storyline of warring worlds in a sci fi setting.  It was grittier and more real...but ultimately failed to really live up to it's potential.

Voyager was yet another rehash of the formula with little to nothing original.

Enterprise tried to be different by going back in time, but really was yet again, just the same formula with increasingly uninteresting characters and plot.

But here's the thing.  If you LOVE Star Trek, odds are you might enjoy even the lesser incarnations.  So why not give them a try?

The only way for you to know is to try them out.

The Original Series was in my view, the best one, though they also had some real stinker episodes, too.

There is an excellent three volume set of books on the production history of the original series, by Mark Cushman. There are also two good oral histories of the first 50 years of Star Trek, titled The Fifty-Year Mission: The Complete, Uncensored, Unauthorized Oral History of Star Trek: The First 25 Years, for the first book.

With such information, you'd be in a better position to determine which other ST shows you'd enjoy.

• Moloch

Yes.  I like them all

but I have not seen Discovery or Pichard.

Skip or mute the opening theme song to Enterprise.

• Anon

Voyager is good.