Please explain to me how 2 strokes are cheaper than 4 stroke dirt bikes?

2 strokes Gear oil, replacing piston/rings much faster, 2 stroke oil and gas, air filter etc

4 stroke oil and gas. Clean oil filter and air filter etc 

I've rebuilt a 426f that was grenaded with pretty much a brand new engine for under $700 with Ebay. Bottom end to top. I was lucky to find a bottom end I just had to switch things over to for $250 w free shipping! I sold this bike but js....

With how much more maintnance on a 2 stroke, how is it cheaper than a 4 stroke please tell me? 

.......a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

• Run your 2 stroke with a bit more oil than you do now, and your piston/rings will last much longer.  You may foul a plug more often, but they are far cheaper than engine parts.  Spending more time keeping your air filter clean and oiled will also pay huge dividends in engine longevity, you would be shocked at how little grit it takes to destroy an engine.

If you ride hard on a 4 stroke, $1000 per 20 hours of riding.

If you ride hard on a 2 stroke and rebuild every 15 hours, $150.

Simple math.

• Ian K

Good week or two of riding hard.  Not playing on trails.  Riding it to the limit the whole time.

Less parts involved.

Less maintenance on a 2, unless it was abused

( say, no oil in gas, too much oil or too rich  and coked exhaust, etc,.) Much easier to do top end on a 2 stroke, too. If the parts for YOUR PARTICULAR 2 cycle cost more than one of your 4 strokes,  that isn't a factor. I can show you old 350 OHV Singles  from the 'sixties that have $$, hard to get parts, too.Even some 4 stroke Vee Twins like a Crocker  or Brough where  parts cost like real estate.  Saw a rare Italian  2 stroke  250  other day, this 1957 model auctions at  a lot.

the FEW 2 strokes I had/have only need a new plug now and then. My 4s dont need plugs ever BUT need valve adjustments, oil changes,  valve stem seals, etc. 

What you are smoking? may  I have some?

because of economics

• Anon

Anyone including Many Presidents can rationalize poor economies, sidestep, and not take responsibility.