Can too much happiness cause one to be depressed?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

Too much cheerfulness can make you gullible, selfish, less successful — and that’s only the tip of the iceberg. More enlightment words from Kvoice, Tiwi

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

Wrong forum. Ask a psychologist, not a philosopher. The field of philosophy has little to nothing to say about it. The field of psychology is bursting  with ideas about it. 

• Jesere
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Just as having too much food makes one hungry

• 3 months ago

Happiness and sorrow come one after another in everyone's life and if you take it in its stride as part of life there is no reason why you should be depressed

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Liz
    Lv 5
    3 months ago

Not according to the Bible. For example Psalms 37:10,11 promises "Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; You will look at where they were, And they will not be there. 11 But the meek will possess the earth, And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace." True peace and security will bring boundless happiness with no room for depression of any kind.

Source(s): jw.org
  • Murzy
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

I highly doubt it.

• 3 months ago

I read your comment above. That is likely. What is? That with the experience of great happiness, real flourishing, thriving, and than have it suddenly taken away you can get depressed. In experimental psychology we say when we put a mouse in water that when it stops swimming that's its state of depression. If that makes any sense. Great happiness, after it plateaus, when things even out, there can be sadness. Its like getting on a diving board, your more excited when you about to jump than when your floating around in the water afterward (yes two swimming examples, I am brilliant today!). 

• 3 months ago

Seriously?  You think that's how mental health works?  Too much stupidity can cause depression and you make me very depressed.

• matthew3 months agoReport

Like someone could be so happy and things go so well all of a sudden for a year straight then they stop and think oh why didn’t this happen along time ago 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.