Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 month ago

So I need to wash my underwear twice isn't that a waste of money ?

I have heard and read: washing underwear in cold water doesn't kill all the bacteria because their is a lot present obviously.  Washing in hot water first seems to set the stains in.  So I need to wash them in cold water to remove the stains or soil followed by hot water to make sure they are clean and all the bacteria is killed.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

I have an idea.  Why not take a shower daily and change your under wear daily so you do not get them so terribly soiled that they need to be washed twice. 

If you are female, a panty liner will prevent staining of your under wear. 

It also helps to use toilet paper properly.  If you are still having staining issues, perhaps you need to use the moistened wipes after toileting.  This will keep yourself clean and prevent stained under wear.

You can also use laundry spray spot cleaner prior to laundering in order to remove stains either in cold or hot water.  Or, hand wash with spot cleaner prior to laundering.

There are simple solutions to simple problems.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

It would be the same bacteria that is between your legs right now.  So, you can't get sick from it because it is "YOU".

Use bleach for cold water washing.  That will kill every bug you need to worry about and remove stains too.  Cold water soap works in cold water. Hot water does not kill all bugs. Bleach does it better.

• Ann
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Spray them before you wash them at all with Shout.  That will loosen any stains and help the material to become clean when detergent is used.  Then wash them in hot water (with soap) to kill germs.  Add some 20 Mule Team Borax (that's honestly the name!!) to the wash, and that will further sanitize them.  If the weather is warm enough where you live, dry them outside on a clothesline.  If not, then use the dryer.  Be sure to check before putting them in the dryer to see if all stains came out.  If not, re-wash them before drying them.

• 1 month ago

You don't need to wash underwear in hot water or more than once. Soap will kill any bacteria in your clothes. And why are there such bad stains that they "set in"?  You do know how to prevent that don't you? 

Hand washing is also okay. The heat of your dryer will kill any bacteria left by the washing--which, if you use enough soap, won't be much.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I wash mine in warm water and they are fine.

• elhigh
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You don't need antibacterial detergent and you don't need hot water.

Firstly, there's not that much bacteria in your underwear unless you're getting very sweaty and keep on wearing them so much that YOU start to smell, too.

Secondly, your nether regions are already the main conduit by which your body dumps a lot of bacteria overboard: white blood cells and their victims from keeping your body protected from pathogens, dead gut bacteria, etc.  These parts of your body are very well protected against bacteria already, since they've evolved over millions of years to be in close contact with them.  Unless you're leaving not just skid marks but actual chunks in your underwear, the likelihood of somehow re-introducing your own bacteria back into your body is so low as to be essentially zero.  Not zero, but about as close as you can get.

The hot water coming out of your water heater is probably not hot enough to kill bacteria.  Even if it is hot enough in the water heater, once it's gone through the pipes, valves, washing machine and other clothes it may not be hot enough to kill them.  So using hot water is pretty pointless.  It has its merits if you're trying to cut greasy stains but even then a good pre-treatment is more effective.

The chemical action of detergent does a terrific job of removing bacteria from your clothing already, and the heat of the dryer IS enough to kill bacteria, so stop wringing your hands over whether your washer is getting the job done.  The job is getting done and that's all that matters.

[edit]

Read the whole thing, Alex.  Detergent does a great job of disinfecting clothing already.  The dryer gets hot enough to sanitize clothes.  I pointed that out.  YOU missed it.

• Alex
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

If the person wants to sanitize their knickers...why not give them an answer that helps the person do just that?

• 1 month ago

or simply use a cold water anti-bacterial detergent

• y
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Being an older guy that doesn't give a crap about maintaining the color on my underwear, bleach is the solution.

• ...Show all comments
    • I totally agree! I am a firm believer of bleach that I just recently used it on dog ticks. Worked like a charm! Read about it here on my blog:

https://randomandfine.com/2020/01/16/can-bleach-kill-ticks-and-fleas/

• Alex
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Use a laundry sanitizer additive such as the ones Lysol puts out. That way you only have to wash once, can do it in cold water, and you get the vast majority of the bacteria out.

You'll never get ALL of it bacteria being what they are, but you can knock it down significantly.

• A
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Wash in warm water with a good detergent,

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.