anna asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

How did you people who were alive in the 80's survive without modern technology?

I just watched a movie from the 80's and everything looked so foreign. There was no internet, cell phones or social media. How did people call someone when they were out and about? How did you book tickets without internet? How did you work without a computer and internet. Looking back was life much tougher?

We lived quite well.  We didn't need technology.  I grew up, in the 1950's-1960's.  We visited with our friends and talked to each other, we went on long walks, we played outside, no one had to lock anything (doors or cars).  Life was extremely easy and fun.

I find it disturbing how addicted your generation is to your "devices". 

The 60s were sports year round for me ... hockey was across the street and the park a block away. I did a lot of reading, had favorite TV shows, board games. The 70s was foosball dominating my spare time. I got an Intellivision set in 1979. Those are still some of my favorite games and I've had 3 play stations. I use this laptop a couple hrs. a day. I get a prepaid cell phone when the weather is good enough to bicycle in case of emergency. Pay phones were everywhere in the past. I'm healthy, retired comfortably and can afford almost anything I want. I hope you have it this good when you get to be my age (I have doubts).

Depending on what part of the 80's, we had primitive versions of almost all that, it's just that it was all so cutting edge that it was financially beyond the reach of most people with kids.  Single yuppies, sometimes two incomes, one apartment, no kids, no pets-- they could actually afford a lot of that stuff.  The precursor to the internet looked something like this: 

http://harvie.cz/bbs/phreak/BOXES/hack.txt  People had electronic bulletin boards that were the precursors of the little web page.  (scroll down to the lunch box, that is actual text that has been recopied over and over in its original form since 1985!)

Hot shot lawyers were among the early adopters of cellular telephones, then mostly called "Carphones" yeah, I know, and the main place that you're not supposed to a cellphone now, was just about the only place you COULD use one of those brick-like sets; it plugged into the cigarette lighter! 

Some 80's movies that show feasible hacking and computer use are, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Sneakers, maybe the Manhattan project and becoming progressively more fantastic,  Revenge of the nerds, Wargames, and going off in to real scifi/fantasy that was using contemporary equipment; Electric Dreams, Videodrome, Brazil, and Max Headroom!

• Dj2541

They  were  called  DINKS. Double Income No Kids

What we never had or knew we didn't miss

• Cousin

Back then, your blackberry was an actual blackberry. You could eat it. 

• Marli

We had modern technology - for the 1980s.  I wasn't suffering.  My first two jobs in the library were filing cards into the catalogue of the library' holdings and typing the information from those cards into a computer data base that superseded the card catalogue 5 years later.  I had a telephone, a small tv, a VHS player and tapes, a microwave, a small refrigerator and hot plate, and an adding machine. Outside were the elevators and motor vehicles.  I was technologically ready for the world I lived in, and I felt no loss.

Someone who was raised with the concept of instant communication could not live the way we once did. If you wanted to get a hold of someone, you called them on the phone and if they weren't home, or if you weren't home when they called you, you left messages on answering machines. 20 years before that there were no answering machines and people lived just fine.

People booked tickets by calling venues on the phone and paying with credit cards, or by using Ticketron, which was a computerized reservation system developed in the 1960s.

Before there was (anti) social media, people had to speak to one another face to face. People have grown comfortable in their anonymity saying things that they would never have said to someone's face, to the point that they will not just troll and bully on the internet, they will do it in real life. The deterioration of social discourse has increased rapidly as a result.

they did not. obviously

• Jack2 weeks agoReport

I don't know man, there are an awful lot of old yuppies still around sooooo....

• JuanB

The only part that was tougher was in the 80's you were bullied face to face.  We could only dream of a time when you would be bullied over the internet and not have to face them.  

No computers and internet in offices meant there was a hell of a lot more full-time  office jobs.  Not like millennials now scrambling around at 2 or 3 part-time jobs.

You booked tickets by phone or standing in line.  It was great, not all your concert tickets were bought up by robo thingies, and real fans could get tickets at regular price, not triple the price.  And like previous point, a ticket company had to hire twice as many box office sellers and staff answering the phone.

Life was fun.  We played outside with all the neighbor kids until dark or dinner time

• Jack2 weeks agoReport

I don;t know... take your pick, in the 80"s you might get your nose broken by a bully, then it was usually through, done.  We really never did have anyone driving anyone to suicide, the bullies now can ruin your reputation for 7 billion people for a thousand years, we didn't have to deal w/that.

Life wasn't tougher, just different.

You called someone when you were out and about by using a pay phone.  If they were out and about, you either left a message on their answering machine or with whoever answered the phone at their home.

You booked tickets with a travel agent, assuming you mean plane tickets.  For concerts, you could book tickets over the phone or just go to the venue to do so.

Work was done on paper or with typewriters.  Copies were made on Xerox machines or duplicators.

• Lili

You could book plane tickets over the phone, too. I did it all the time. It certainly wasn't necessary to do it through a travel agent.  You could buy tickets at the airport, too.