Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceOther - Business & Finance · 1 month ago

Is this even legal ?

I normally log in at 11.00 pm on Saturday and work until Sunday 7.00 am.  But this past weekend I logged in as normal I was asked to stay until Sunday 11.00 am which would be considered a 12-hour shift so that they do not pay me any double time.  The supervisor showed up asked me to log out for 10 minutes then log back in leave at 3.00 pm when my relief shows up. He said it would be 12 hours 4 hours would be time and half.  The extra 4 hours would just be the normal pay rate.  Yes I logged out and back in as they said but I feel it should be still double time pay rate.  

You never get double time unless thats negotiated in advance (often through a union) for work on holidays and the like. 

You would get time and a half for hours over 40 in a given week.  

They had you log out and back in so they could satisfy labor laws regarding breaks...that 10 minutes may have been the requirement.  

• DEBS

Labor laws are based on state. Are you sure your comments apply to where the asker is?

• Eva

Not legal at all. They need to pay you OT for the extra 4 hours. You worked a 16 hr. shift and they should pay accordingly. A 10 minute break in between is not near enough to exempt them from the OT requirement.

• DEBS

Labor laws are country and state specific.  I doubt any jurisdiction would approve of such behaviors which obviously were to get around paying you extra.  

Nobody is forced to pay anyone double time. Time and a half over 40 is the law.