Should I go to my high school graduation?

Well, these past four years have been rough. I got mistreated, labeled, picked on, and excluded by my peers. Got bad self esteem and became suffocated by people who constantly make me so unhappy. It’s  a very toxic atmosphere and the social pressures have become too much to bear.  The only thing that kept me through was focusing on academics and doing well in school. I already got accepted to my dream college. My folks honestly don’t really care if I go to graduation—they’re much more elated about my future university. But I don’t know—

some people say it’s a “once in a lifetime opportunity.” 

I still have a few months to figure it out.

Thanks everyone for the insightful answers. Wasn’t expecting this level of such thorough responses but it cleared my thoughts. 

Only you know whether this event will be liberating and enable closure or if it will be stressful and unfulfilling.

It IS a once in a lifetime opportunity in that you will never graduate from high school again.  Whether you go or not is totally up to you.  Years from now you may wish you'd gone.  Maybe you won't.  This isn't about the people who caused you stress.  This is about acknowledging and celebrating you and your achievement.  End of story.  If you don't go, you'll still graduate.  You'll still get your diploma.  You just won't have that memory of walking across the stage.  You also won't have to sit through speeches that cause you to roll your eyes.  

• cool

You won't be able to cope with university, so find something else to do.

GO! It's your one brief moment of triumph - you did it. Stand tall in your gown, receive your diploma, and remember in that moment that you succeeded despite the obstacles.

Tell your parents you want them to stand up for you, show their support by attending the ceremony, and by throwing a little party for you afterwards with grandparents, relatives. (You can have another celebration with friends if you want, but you want your family to stand up for you right now).

• John

I have to second Mamawisdom's answer, in that only you can decide what might best for you in the long run.  

I didn't go to my high school graduation, in large part (but not entirely) for reasons similar to yours. Not putting up with those people one minute more than I was forced to is something I'm personally proud of to this day.  Someone else, however, might later feel the decision cost him the chance to attend an event many young people take a good amount of pride in.  

To give another point of consideration, though, I would add that not attending graduation was a very easy choice for me. I was a teenager in the later years of the 1960s. It was a time when many young people, myself included, were seriously questioning many traditional values.  Those who did not grow up in such times might be more prone to feel bad about missing things like high school graduation.

• John

@ bridge.t: The late 1960s were very complex and turbulent times, even by the polarized standards seen in the nation today.

If the academics of high school are what mattered to you most, then you should go to graduation. Graduation is the recognition and celebration of those academic achievements, and has nothing to do with the social issues of surviving four years in a hostile environment.  Go, and celebrate your achievement with your family. Be proud of where you've been and where you're going, because it's all related.

A high school graduation lasts between 3-4 hours (including the preparation beforehand). You'll be fine.