Jo asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

I am 81 and grocery shop for almost an hour pushing a 1/2 full cart. How many calories will I burn?

Probably not as many as you will eat when you get the groceries home. Go out for a good walk every day, when you are not shopping. 

• Logan

It depends on the distance covered. Walking all the isles of a grocery store might be 1/4 mile. Walking a 1/4 mile uses 25 calories. pushing the cart might double it to 50 because of the force needed to repeatedly start and stop the heavy cart.

• ?

Fewer than just walking. It takes almost no calories to push anything along an even surface and, in fact, it would allow you to shift some of your weight to the cart, effectively make it a walker.

I read an article where even walking around the house burns calories but how many you will have to do some research to find out but the point is that even waling around the house is better than remaining immobile.