ellie asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 month ago

No period after Nexplanon implant??

I got the Nexplanon implant for the first time 16 days ago, i was meant to come on my period 8 days ago but have absolutely nothing, not even spotting  , is this normal? 

Update:

I also forgot to ask, usually they stop within a year but isn’t 2 weeks too soon for them to stop completely ?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Very normal. nothing is wrong

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

It's actually quite common for abnormal periods, even no period at all, after starting a new birth control, especially within the first 3 to 6 months! If you're really unsure or want reassurance, take a pregnancy test. 

Nexplanon is a hormonal implant that is inserted into the upper arm. After insertion, it immediately begins to release hormones into your body that affect your menstruation cycle (aka period). It suppresses ovulation and thickens cervical mucus making it so there is no egg to fertilize and no way for sperm to reach it if there was. 

It's very common for there to be abnormal periods in the first 3-6 months of a new birth control, including Nexplanon. Actually, in the studies for Nexplanon, women who had lighter periods or periods that stopped within the first 3 months were likely to keep that bleeding pattern (or lack thereof) during the lifetime of the implant. 

However, depending on when the Nexplanon was inserted in terms of your cycle determines when it begins to successfully stop ovulation. If your Nexplanon was inserted 5 days since the start of your period, it suppresses ovulation right away and you do not need to use any back up birth control methods. If it was inserted any other time in your cycle, you must use another form of contraception (like condoms) for at least 7 days. If you had unprotected sex during the 7 day time frame and you did not have it inserted within the first 5 days of your last period, there is a chance you may be pregnant, and you should take a home pregnancy test.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.