Anonymous

Will it matter much if I don't get valedictorianship or salutatorianship, in regards to college?

I am currently #2 in class rank as a junior but I feel like there's a chance I won't be able to keep the title, although it remains possible. My school is small with 178 in my grade and we don't have many AP classes. My current GPA is a 4.025 as well and I plan to take three more AP classes next year, but I think my GPA will only increase by one point because I might get a B in AP US History. I wonder if this will affect my scholarship opportunities or anything along the lines. Keep in mind I also have a 32 on the ACT if that matters.

Neither matter in life at all.

Not much in a small school. Don't worry about it. 

You will be accepted or rejected (and you will already have made your decision) before you would know what your final rank is..

So it doesn't really matter where you end up. Some schools may look at where you rank (if your school ranks) to see how you compare, but that is about it. There isn't a big deal between 2 or 3 or whatever as far as colleges go.

Achieving the rank of valedictorian or salutatorian at your school is meaningless to most college applications. It's strictly an internal (your high school) ranking. Some schools have seven or eight people who achieve each rank. Your academic rigor and GPA and test scores have much more influence on your application, plus all the other things colleges look at: essays, test scores, and the weight of your recommendations.

It might affect local scholarships however, ones that are earmarked for the students at your school who achieve that rank.