Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Can I get custody of my grandchild?

My daughter is moving In with her low life idiot of a boyfriend. He lives in a junky apartment, and they both have dead end jobs. Can I get custody ?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No; you can't get custody of your grandchild. You have no grounds on which to ask the Court to remove custody from your daughter and give you custody instead.

What kind of apartment the child is living in with his mother and the kind of job she has (as long as it's legal) make no difference. She isn't physically abusing the child; she's providing a roof over the child's head; she feeds the child when he's hungry; he's in no danger; and the mother poses no threat to the child's life.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If by "low life" you mean he's a gangbanger, drug dealer, drug addict or physically abusive, maybe. Of course you'd have to go to court to challenge your daughter for custody. But if by "low life" you just mean he has a minimum wage job and lives in a rundown but relatively sanitary apartment, probably not. Family court judges have been flayed in recent decades for removing children over poverty alone. This guy would have to present a serious danger to the child for you to get custody.

• Raja
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If the parents are willing you can become the guardian of the child .You may have to follow the legal formalities of the country in becoming the guardian.

• 1 month ago

I feel there is much more to this than you are willing to cop to!

I'll leave it at this, the only way you could file for custody is if she is being abused or neglected and CPS comes in to take her out of the home.

If there is no abuse going on, then legally, you have zero grounds of custody.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Candy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Yes some how get photos or recordings as proof they are using drugs infront of a minor , and leaving un hygienic waste around.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

you can try to get it

• Edna
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

She won't be successful.

• Eva
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not based on those reasons.

• 1 month ago

No, you can't. None of that is abuse nor neglect

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Not based on what you've said.

There are no laws against dead end jobs and idiot boyfriends.

The law does not guarantee that every child has the best possible parent.   They get the parents nature gave them unless laws are broken. 

• 1 month ago

Unlikely unless there has been any reason to believe that the child isn't being cared for properly (and your properly and legal properly are probably two different things). If they can care for her basic needs, keep utilities on in the apartment, bring her to the doctor when necessary, have appropriate childcare when they are at work, and can generally keep her safe there's no reason for children's services to step in and no reason for you to get custody.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.