Kathy asked in HealthDental · 1 month ago

Can you feel your tongue moving around?

even if your mouth is the most open that it can get, yet your tongue isn't touching anywhere in your mouth nor either side at all

Are you ever able to figure out if your tongue is moving in any of the situations listed above?

Update:

I just realized that I should've added that there's absolutely nothing in your mouth except air.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Ordinarily people ignore this until somebody mentions it

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Sky
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes.  I tested just now and found that yes I can feel my tongue moving around when my mouth is wide open and not touching anything.  I can feel the momentum of the meat as it moves and changes direction, and there is also the self awareness of the position of body parts (there's a scientific name for that but I can't remember it) that lets me know what position it's in and what movements it's doing.

• ...Show all comments
    • Sky
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Interesting.  It must be different from person to person.  Maybe it's a matter of whether or not we're specifically paying attention to what our tongue is doing.

• 1 month ago

The tongue moves the food to help you chew and swallow. ... Sudden swelling of the tongue may occur due to an allergic reaction or ... The papillae (bumps on the tongue) are lost, which makes the tongue look smooth. ... After menopause, some women suddenly feel their tongue has burned.

• 1 month ago

i can feel it moving around

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

You should, as your tongue still has nerve endings in it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.