Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

I stopped recieving disability payments and now they say I need to pay them back 20 thousand dollars. will I go to jail if I can't pay?

I've never worked before because of my disabilities. it's bad enough they're stopping the checks but now they want back all the money they've given me. will I go to jail if I don't pay. I don't think begging for money with a sign at the side of the road will get me 20 thousand dollars. that's how bad things for me are. I live with my mom by the way

You can only go to jail if you are being charged and prosecuted for criminal fraud. This would only happen if it was determined that you received those benefits based on lies you told on applications, or to doctors. If it was a medical determination that you are no longer disabled, and that decision is made retroactive to a point in the past where it is determined when your disability ended, then any payments you received after that time can be billed to you. You can be sued in civil court to recover that money but you cannot be prosecuted in criminal court for not paying it.

• Ana

You shouldn’t have lied about having a disability. You also should’ve saved and invested your money

It depends.  I'm not an expert in dealing with disabilities, but in my experience, it's not unusual for the paying authority (your workplace, the government, etc.) to stop disability payments if they have evidence that you are no longer disabled and/or you no longer meet the criteria to receive payments.  It's another matter entirely for them to demand that you return the money they previously paid.  That typically means the paying authority believes you didn't deserve the money in the first place. 

If this is due to a clerical error or some similar misunderstanding on your part, then it's likely they will be able to take civil action (sue you, etc.) to recover the debt...that's because even if your error was honest, you still didn't deserve the money!  Civil action will be limited to whatever assets they can seize from you to recover the debt--and keep in mind they may be able to garnish any future wages--but that's pretty much it...as the expression goes, "you can't get blood from a turnip."

However, if all of this is due to some deliberate misstatement or falsehood on your part, then that's potentially fraud, and yes, that makes it a criminal matter  that could result in jail time along with additional financial penalties, depending on the exact situation.

You need to find out the exact reason why payments were stopped AND why the money is being demanded back...it's possible that the paying authority may have made an error themselves.  Make certain you have all your paperwork regarding your disability (doctor's records/bills, evidence of previous paperwork filed for your disability, etc.) in order, as you will likely need it to address any issues.  And it may be a good idea to consult with an attorney regardless, as he/she can give you some guidance regarding your specific situation, your options available, and what you need to do.

Good luck

Can you get recertified for disability didn't get recertified for disability and have the doctor say that you have been disabled for the last 2 years that will entitle you to legally keep the money. They will reverse the decision and they'll have to start giving you disability again

maybe you should talk to a lawyer about it

They must suspect you of committing some kind of fraud.