Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

My wife is not happy unless she is spending money. Is this a bipolar disorder ?

As long as she was spending money all the time she was happy. Now for the last couple of weeks that I have put her on a no buy because she has a shopping problem she acts depressed . I'm not trying to be controlling but her shopping was out of hand and we were about to lose this apartment my dream is to own our home because I'm tired of apartment living but we haven't been able to get approved for any houses she maxed out so many credit cards no one will let us get a house.  I'm 38. She's 30.Neither of us are rich. I'm a pharmacist tech and shes a retail employee.This woman was spending $500 a WEEK. My wife only wants to sleep all day everyday she stopped pursuing her hobbies, her sex drive has gone down the toilet and she wears stain and odor filled clothes everywhere. She was abused when she was younger so I don't know if this contributes to her mabye having bipolar disorder. Part of why she said she had to get married to me fast was because she was trying to escape an abusive household. 

Poor impulse control and obsessive behaviors like this can be a sign of multiple different mental illnesses. She definitely needs to be seeing a shrink at the very least. But unless she put a gun to your head you also got married too fast to someone fleeing abuse who apparently didn't do the required counseling to even recover from that before jumping in with both feet. But get the diagnosis first so at least you know what you're dealing with. As a Pharma Tech you surely aware that many of these things can now be managed with medication.

• Mr. L.

It is a psychosis, don't try and self diagnose, get to a psychiatrist M.D. first.

• d j

Your wife isn't acting right.

Instead of being all negative and making you look bad, she should consider this short term sacrifice as her contribution toward the home that you want to buy for 'both' of you.

She doesn't seem happy to pitch in and also making it hard for you to focus positively toward the goal.

She's also acting ungrateful for the things you did for her up until this time beyond your financial capacity.

I don't know, she's acting like a 'fair weather friend' and not like 'till death do us apart'.

This is ADHD not bipolar. She likes the high of getting new trophies/possessions/deals. She also likes showing off to her friends online that she is cute and worthy so that would be depression due to comparing herself to others. I say tell her to quit social media for a while and take up sleeping instead. She will be much happier.

Its not Bipolar disorder. My guess is its a shopping addiction. But since neither of us are professionals in this field, getting her to see a doctor would be a better idea than taking a guess what it might be.