Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

My late grandmother borrowed money from my dad. He charged her interest. Now my own mom needs money. Should I gift her or charge interest?

• Bill

typical American

always thinking that money is more important than family

That's up to you of course. But look at her circumstances. If Mom is retired and on a fixed income she may not have the capacity to pay you back with interest (or pay you back at all). On the other hand if this money for some one-time expense and she takes in enough to make good on the debt that would be different. If you can afford to do this and Mom's not on the verge of homelessness you can make your decisions accordingly. But there's a big difference between "I need to borrow money to pay the rent on my meager lodgings" and "I want to borrow money to redo the back bathroom in the house I own mortgage free". Only you can know how dire the situation is.

thats up to you how you want to do it

You should obviously do what other people tell you rather than thinking for yourself.

Follow the family tradition, but at the rate your father set as a precident.

Is this a joke question??