Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Why would a grandma criticize her granddaughter she never met?

Why would a 60 year old woman see her granddaughter on youtube being cute and playing piano at 8 years old and then criticize her for wearing make up and act resentful????  Is that normal or is my mom a narcisist to compete with her own grand-daughter.  Help please.

Could be she just objects to a child that young wearing makeup (as most sane people would). When parents hyper-sexualize kids at an early age it's usually a sign that they're trying to live vicariously through those children (see Patsy Ramsey and basically any pageant mom). To be frank, if you're dolling a 2nd grader up for a piano recital it might be YOU who's competing (with the other moms). Maybe let her be a kid a while longer and your mother will be less offended. Cosmetics on children is a relatively new phenomenon and some older people just don't approve. No, I'm not a prude, I was a child actor and wore makeup every day of my life at that age. But not for my daily routine off the set. This is just jarring to older people. That's just a fact.

cause she thinks shes too young for makeup

Because we all judge each other all the time. When I say all, I mean all, including people we don't know or have ever even seen. We judge people in our dreams and imagination too. And when I say all, I mean all to include you which means you are just as guilty of doing so as the grandma. Doing so is not the definition of narcissism because if it was, every single one of us would be a narcissist (some more vocal than others). It is called being critical, and we are all guilty to some extent.

Why was Pearl L. arrested for shoplifting?   She has never been caught before or so she told Cecila.