Should I have told her I was off work today?

I've seen numerous posts from women who get highly upset when they find out their boyfriends or husbands took a day off work and didn't tell them. They felt like they were lied to. A woman can take a mental health day whenever she feels like it and the guy could care less but the minute he does it then she all of a sudden finds a list of things she wants him to do.

I have unused PTO on my job that carried over from last year that if I don't use I'll lose it so I decided to take the day off. When I got home last night I mentioned it to my wife and now she is adding to my "honeydew" list of things to do. "Change the linen", "do this", "do that."

This morning she mentioned that her 25 year old son was going downtown to some job interview and if he doesn't get the job then I need to go pick him up and take him home. My response to her was, "If I had went to work how would he have gotten home." Me taking the day off doesn't mean I want to be his free Uber or Lyft. It's funny how he can make it downtown but just can't seem to get back home.

I'm thinking I should have lied by omission and not said anything about me taking the day off. No, I didn't agree to run my step-son around so now the wifey is peeved with me that her son will have to figure out how he's going to get home while I'm just sitting here doing nothing. What do you think?

Do please cite the careers wherein "a woman can take a mental health day whenever she feels like it". I've certainly never had a job like that and most of the work contracts I've signed don't even come with sick days. Your problem isn't with "women", it's with your wife. Don't tar and feather the rest of us just because you've got some domestic issues. P.S. I'd love it if my workaholic husband would take a "mental health day". He probably needs one.

• Vlad24

Your wife seems goal oriented. She normally has that list in her head and ends up doing everything herself because she needs everything completed before end of day. You taking the day off gave her some relief from some things on her list. Since you are married to her she felt you wouldnt mind. Next time mums the word and fly to Florida....

• RP

Your point is evident. When cooler heads prevail, this is something you should discuss with your spouse in an open and honest manner to see if you can settle on (or agree) about what is fair and right to you both. The purpose will be to avoid having to lie to prevent this kind of upset in the future. Once you start down the path of lies, there is no telling where it may lead, but the likely outcome is not positive.

• d j

May be she should also take a day's break from everything she does for you each day.

• Ana

I think this is why I never recommend marrying somebody who has children from outside the marriage

• Tom

"Yesterday's dead and gone......."

From the song HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT

I think a 25 year old guy should be able to call a cab or ride a bus or something, how was he going to get home if you hadn't taken the day off?