Why are some turtlenecks made the way they are?

I've always figure they're made to cover your whole neck to keep your neck and body warmer in colder weather but some whether they're shirts or sweaters don't always do that and many times you see people in turtlenecks where their necks aren't completely covered.

Why would clothing manufactures make they like that and why would anyone wear them if they're not covering one's neck completely?

Seems kind of silly.

• Cee

Horses for courses, I guess.

Myself, I prefer a turtleneck that comes up to just below my jawline, but others may prefer one that sits a bit lower or further away from their neck.

Because there is something called Half-Polo's, half neck or mock neck, which is similar to a turtleneck but cover less of the neck. With men it's usually with a zipper though:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0026/8464/9531/p...

It's just a different style of neckline (and not every clothes are made for function but for style or body-shape flattery!) and there are people with shorter necks, you know? Although I'm female, I find regular turtlenecks bunching up when they are too high up at the neck, so I prefer mock/half-polo sweaters when keeping myself warm. When you keep parts of neck coverage and wear gloves, you keep the air coming down inside of the sweater, which helps you from getting cold.

Strange arguement, because men with short hair might wear warm clothing but getting their ears cool because they don't cover them up. A little bit of neck showing doesn't really matter IMHO, because you can always add a SCARF.

Not all clothing has to be functional and some is stylish or trendy. Don't worry. No one will hold a gun to your head and force you to buy or wear one you don't like.