Are there any clean Charles dickens books for teens?

I’ve been trying to find a good Charles dickens book for my teenagers to read but these things are nothing but downright filthy! The language is disgusting..the crude, nasty references are one of a kind. Did this guy really become famous by cursing up a storm every chance he got and saying dirty things about people? There’s gotta be at least one clean book, right? What can my kids stomach to read by this guy?

Dirty books by Charles Dickens? What are you talking about? There was enforced censorship in the 1800s when those novels were written.

Anyway, Charles Dickens books that I personally like are Christmas Carol, A Tale Of Two Cities and David Copperfield.

Great Expectations is one of my favorite. Such a good novel. Words were so poetic back then and many words have changed since that time. Try buying a book that has annotations so you can understand the novel better. A tale of two cities is also an amazing book.

Trust me your teens have read wayyyyy dirtier things than Charles Dickens.

Seriously?  You're really going to ban books from Famous Authors due to language?  When these books were written - there was NO snow flakes with over sensitive feelings.  Let your children read these FAMOUS books but, please, explain to them at the time these books were written - nothing was banned.

• Tina

There is nothing in any Charles Dickens novel that would bring a blush to the cheek of any young person. The questioner is trying to be funny.

That aren't boring - no

• Marli

Ask them what modern fiction they have read and "stomached".  Dickens wrote about the naive and good surrounded by criminals, deadbeats, swindlers, beggars, crooked lawyers, crooked poor law guardians and public officials, cruel school teachers, misers.

Considering the depressing and hostile dystopian stories that teens have asked about writing here, IMO they would like reading Charlie's books if the pace wasn't so slow for modern readers.  At least there was kindness and hope mixed with the cruel and down-pulling.

• Andrew

Dickens is notoriously raunchy. Give your kids a copy of Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer" instead. 

You opened your account 10 years ago and have all of 50 points. Well done. 

I'm sure that the other 500 questions you've asked were just as intelligent as this one. 

Say hi to your non existent kids for me. 

• Elaine

It's time for you to return to the troll farm.

Why do you think your kids have to read Dickens? Since you think his books are so terrible, why do you read them. There are thousands of other authors they can read. If you're a reader you should be able to recommend what you call a clean book to them.

• Katie J.3 weeks agoReport

This answer is so retarded I don’t know where to begin. 

Well the most common one taught in school is Oliver Twist if that helps

Maybe stop being such a helicopter parent. My parents were losers like you and tried their hardest to prevent me from being exposed to anything like that. After years of suffering as a young adult due to that I finally broke from their mind control and became a free thinker. Best decision of my life ever. Now I look at kids like that and laugh at them, because they are losers. But really, the parents are the losers responsible for ruining the future of humanity like that.