Is it true that companies won't give you a raise without "provocation"?

Provocation: meaning asking for it.

If I was doing a great job going above and beyond, is it not a thing to give an employee a raise based on performance? Or do we have to go out and ask for one?

I'm new to the 'corporate environment' so I was just curious. Or would they give a raise?

Business: Corporate

Most companies have an annual review of each employee's performance and will provide appropriate compensation increases including a cost-of-living increase (if there's high inflation) and or a raise within the salary range for that job title.  Some employers are open to being asked for raises at other times.  Some are not.  

• Judy

Not true. Many companies give annual raises, to most employees.

I've never had to ask for a raise or promotion & have always got them based on merit.. however, if I didn't see a raise for awhile I would ask..

• You can ask for a raise, if you've been there long enough and have the proof that you deserve a raise. Don't provoke or give ultimatums over a raise, that can get you fired. I haven't worked in corporate, but companies I've worked for usually give raises based on performance. 

You would have to have a talk with your boss, or more experienced co workers, and see how raises work in your company. 

You can ask for a raise as long as you have some proof as to why you believe  you deserve one. That's the way I've done it in the past. 

Other than a yearly cost of living or a promotional pay rise I've never been just given one.