I was laid off from work? Help?

I studied marketing in college and had a great job for years and was recently laid off. I had to take a bus job temporarily just until I get a certificate I need for my next job. But I am so embarrassed of where I am in life. How do I stay motivated?

At least you arent sitting around feeling sorry for yourself...well, not all of the time.  

• Maxi

Why are you embarrassed? You are not sitting at home and not working and future employers will see that. People have to change jobs all the time and sometimes carrers several times in their working lifetime............ just keep working/earning and apply for jobs advertised you want

I know someone that encountered the same situation. She got laid off, and applied for a seasonal job. The person who interviewed her looked at her application and said, "you got laid off Friday. You haven't even applied for unemployment yet." The applicant said, "I'd rather work than collect unemployment." 

She applied for a seasonal job, but she was in a regular, full time position for the next 10 years.

• Don't be embarrassed, at least you have a job. If you don't like your job start looking for another job. Keep looking around for better jobs that are more related to the career / job you want. If you want to be in marketing that should keep you motivated. 

• Tavy

Money keeps you motivated, most people will do anything until their dream job turns up.

• Nicey8

Hi. In my country, some high ranking executives were laid off around age 50. they become cabby drivers. It is very common these days. You are not alone.

Just keep yourself motivated and employable, and maybe take a few courses to stay relevant. Hope for the best.

Hope that it is not a financial recession happening if you read stock indices of world stock markets.

• Satan

Why be embaressed?

Some people just slunk at home, waiting for welfare - theyre the ones that should be embaressed.

You, have got off your @ss and done something. This is just temporary Be proud of yourself

• jim1 month agoReport

Thank you very true