Can Windows 10 be installed on an Intel i486?

Update:

I'm saying the 66Mhz version

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 13 hours ago

It should do just fine.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

the first thing to know is that a i486 lacks the instruction sets to run windows, even the pentium 2 which is from 1996 (or 1997) lacks the instruction sets to run, the 66mhz processor would be too slow even for windows XP and running it on 2000 would be a stretch, as 2000 requires a 133mhz processor at the least and windows 10 needs a 1ghz processor, so maybe a pentium 4 might just be able to run it (with no effects enabled).

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

first you have to understand that Windows 10 is a 64bit operating system which will only work on 64 bit processor.  intel i466 is a vintage processor which only have 16 bit processing power. 

second that processor is too F#$#$ slow!  most processor is about 3.7Ghz.  it is useless to use a processor that slow.  even a smartphone is about 1.7 ghz now.   Windows 10 cannot run on a processor that slow. 

• Just Wondering0001
      Lv 6
      3 months agoReport

Win10 32bit : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

• 3 months ago

Im sorry i dont know what a computer is, but can i offer you my blueberry pie its our specialty

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 months ago

just get a computer on windows 10.

• Steven
    Lv 4
    3 months ago

No, it cannot work due to short configurations. 

Attachment image
  • Rayal
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

DOS runs like a champ.  Windows 98 would be the last OS that they could run reliably. 

You might find a Linux distro that would run on it. 

• ...Show all comments
    • Duane
      Lv 4
      3 months agoReport

pretty well run on anything wit 2gb ram. but there will be problems with sites you are trying to accses

• L.N.
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

No, a Pentium class CPU is the bare minimum. Older CPUs lack some needed opcodes in their instruction sets. 

• 3 months ago

No, a 486 does not have the necessary instruction sets or speed to run Windows 10, or even Windows XP for that matter.

• 3 months ago

You can but I don't recommend it. Try finding a simple Linux distro, they are more stable.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.