Best way to get scratches out of bare wood?

My cat clawed up my balcony and I’m not about to have that taken out of my rent deposit. What can I do about these? Thanks

The only way to get scratches out of wood is to sand away enough wood so the scratches don't show. Then it will be obvious that you've sanded away a lot of wood.

You can wave goodbye to your damage deposit.

You won't be able to fix it.   Whatever paint that was on there was falling off anyway so just don't say anything and see if the LL notices.   It is mainly sun damage...as it is OLD paint.

tell them it was like that when you moved in

fill with colored wood putty from the hardware. and ditch the cat because it'll repeat this again and again. Cats NEED to "sharpen their claws" -- they grow constantly and have to be reduced in length -- either because you trim them or the cat does, as s/he did for you already

• y

Almost looks like paneling or some sort of veneer to me. If so, that would need to be replaced, sanding it down doesn't work.

If it is wood, start with 60 to 80 grit sandpaper and work your way up until you're using a medium grit. No need to go fine on that. Then you'll need to figure out how to match color and what ever protective coating is on it.

240 grit sandpaper, then 00 steel wool, then Old English scratch cover. Try Old English scratch cover first.

maybe you can hire someone to take them out

• Eva

Those aren't coming out. You can lightly sand them to take off the rough spots and make them a bit less noticeable, but short of replacing the wood you can't fix it completely.

It is damaged wood. It’s your fault. It’s not your property. You need to pay for the damage