I’m Australian and wanting to become a social worker in America. ?

I am 21 and interested in going to college in America, particularly New York to study. I have done lots of research and it seems quite complex for an Aussie to go to college in the states as it is very expensive. I’m wondering if anyone had a similar experience. Maybe I could do 1 year in Australia and then transfer to the states, as they won’t get you work and study there so I don’t know how I can pay. Does anyone know any colleges that do that? Thanks!

5 Answers

  • 3 months ago

    Student visas are temporary non-immigration visas issued on the condition that foreign students return to their country of citizenship immediately upon completion or termination of full-time studies. Yes, foreign students are strictly prohibited from working, and financial aid for foreign students can be scarce to non-existent. To apply for student visa, if a university accepts you, you must prove you (& your parents) have sufficient funds for all school + living expenses + return transportation to country of citizenship. Expect to need a minimum of USD50,000/yr for 4 years.

    MSWs (master's in social work) are a glut on the market in most areas of the US. Not a qualification for any temporary employment visa. Even if you had some way to immigrate to US, e.g. sponsorship by immediate relative, so you had a green card, do not expect to find work readily in the US. There are social workers cobbling together 2, 3, even 4 part-time jobs just to provide minimally for themselves - and that's with MSW, not a mere bachelor's degree.

    NOT worthwhile to study social work at bachelor's or master's level in US as a foreign student. Social work regulations, facilities, procedures, etc, vary from one country to the next. So your US degree would be pretty well useless when you return to Australia, as you MUST.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • drip
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

    Why New York? Do you mean New York City? 

    Have you ever lived in a large major city before? NYC has an extremely high cost of living.

    All US universities are going to be expensive for international students. There very little to no financial aid given to international students. You can see cost of tuition and room and board on any US universities web site. Also estimated cost to attend. You would not qualify for government student loans.

    Unfortunately it could easily cost you $80,000 USD per year to attend.  Up to $100,000 per year wouldn’t be out of the norm for an international student.

    For NYU - For undergrad 2019-2020 school year estimated cost to attend is $76,614, including $53,310 for tuition and mandatory fees, $18,684 for room and board, $752 for books and supplies. Note this is PER YEAR. 

    As an international student your cost would be higher.   NYU does offer some scholarships to international students. 

    There are universities who have a much lower tuition rate or room and board cost, But prices just go up each year.

    Eastern Illinois University out of state tuition For 2020 is Just over $14,200. Room and board and other fees are $12,500 

    Although some universities would allow you to have a part time job on campus, this would not begin to cover your costs. It would be more spending money for transportation or personal supplies.  

    Realize you would need to apply to US schools, be accepted, apply for a student visa and prove you have the funds to attend. 

    Once you complete your degree or if you quit or are kicked out, you must leave the US. 

    You wold not get a job in the US as a social worker. Most jobs in the field require a Masters degree. And the jobs in the field notorious for low pay. The field is saturated. There would be no need to hire from aboard and sponsor a work visa.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Laurie
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

    Nearly all major American universities accept international students.

    However, to receive a student visa, you need to show that you have enough money to support yourself AND pay for school.

    By the way, social work here in the United States is a notoriously low-paying profession. If I were you, I would consider a different profession, perhaps registered nursing or cyber-security.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 3 months ago

    You can't transfer internationally, due to different education systems.

    The best thing you can do is to complete your studies in Australia

    In the meantime, look at visa options - the US might not be an option, but you can move quite easily to other Commonwealth countries if you're under 30 (including Canada & the UK)

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Mary
    Lv 4
    3 months ago

    any chances to study with an Aussie uni whilst studying overseas (the study abroad program)?

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.