What was a U-Boat (use full German name)? Why was there a problem with them being in the ocean?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

They had an unfortunately tendency to sink when depth charged or hit with hedge hogs.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Really, I find using the computer and using Google or YOUTUBE helpful.

You should try it.

• 3 months ago

It was a submarine.  Not the sammich kind of submarine, the other kind.

• 3 months ago

an event that propelled the US in into World War I

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

The German "Unterseeboot" was their version of a submarine. No problem with them being in the ocean, except that we were at war with Germany.

• 3 months ago

"Unterseeboot" was based on the English "underwater boat".

The problem was Germany declared "Unrestricted warfare" at sea. Any class of ship was considered a target. This is opposed to limited warfare at sea where only naval man of wars were considered legitimate targets. While to the best of my knowledge the Germans never sunk a hospital ship, they basically stated such ships were targets for torpedo's along with nonmilitary vessels of all types. If they were in "coastal waters" and flying a "neutral flag" they were also considered legitimate targets to be sunk by the U-boats.

For reference: http://www.usmm.org/sunk39-41.html

If you look at those records you will see that most of the lost ships by the US merchant marine were due to German torpedo's in 1941 prior to the USA entering the war. I am sure there were ships of other nationalities that were also lost due to unrestricted warfare. It is recorded as the "Blockade of Britain" in most history books.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

The full German name was "Unterseeboot", which means "under the sea boat".

The problem was that they had torpedoes and were sinking allied ships.

• Brian
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Good Lord. Is a google search really beyond you?

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

"U" stands for "underwater."  A U-boat was and "underwater-boat," which we now call "submarines."  The problem with them being in the ocean was they were sinking Allied ships, along with commercial ships going to or from Allied countries.  A German U-boat is what sunk the Lusitania, a cruise ship full of, among others, Americans on their way from Liverpool to New York, an event that propelled the US in into World War I. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.