Belamie asked in PetsOther - Pets · 3 months ago

Do animals know the difference between adult humans and baby humans?

You've all seen the videos of a baby stroking a cat or a cat's tail and the cat is chill but then I think if an adult did that the cat would scratch his or her eyes out !!!

• patty

yes i have wondered what cats and dogs think of babies. 

Yes, but this is probably something some birds and mammals are particularly good at simply because they are pretty smart.

Our most common pets, such as cats and dogs, are predators. They have a natural instinct to be able to identify the smaller, weaker, young animals they would hunt in the wild. So there's no doubt that cats and dogs recognise children as being weaker, smaller, younger versions of adults!

Dogs are social animals and they see their family as their pack with the adults as the dominant members. So if the dominant members of the pack accept their children into the pack (obviously!) then dogs will accept that since they are down the hierarchy. Cats aren't as pack driven, but they do have a hierarchy. They know which cats are the dominant ones and avoid conflict by being submissive. Adults are bigger than children and children are bigger than cats so they know where they sit in the scheme of things.

Cats, however, tend to remain in a juvenile state. I grew up with cats and I have to say I'm 100% definite that they thought my mother was their mother. They saw my brother, sister, and me as part of the litter. They way they reacted to us was a lot different to my mum. So they had some sense of the social order! My dad ... they just accepted him as boss cat not to be messed with.

The other thing to remember is smell. Since I'm my mother and father's daughter, I will have a 'family' scent cats and dogs would recognise. They can tell family associations so they would know the children of their adult owners, for example, are related. 

• Ocimom

Yes - they are smart enough to know the difference and will allow kids to get away with more then they would an adult.  Doesn't mean you should ever allow a kid to pester or hurt any animal just because they are a kid - you TEACH them how to interact in the proper way.

• Will

Yes, but only mammals. I believe all mammals can understand each other to a certain extent based off of body language, verbal communication sounds, and chemical signals. Humans no longer can sense chemical changes, but we have the intelligence to study and learn about other animals what their body language and verbal communications mean.

To answer your question specifically now, yes, I believe other mammals can recognize that a human baby is a baby. Whether that animal is a dog, an orangutan, a blue whale, or a bear, I believe they can sense/recognize based off the appearance and sound that it is a baby. Obviously a bear's predatory instincts will make it not give a ****, but it will still sense the baby is a baby. It's obvious dogs can sense this because we have seen that they respond differently when seeing a newborn. Some dogs have displayed even more caring and protective behavioral patterns around the family's newest addition. They sense it is young and defenseless and look after it.

Most people don't put the video online where the cat gets angry and scratches the kid followed by fifteen minutes of crying.

Animals sense the vibes that a person gives off. Obviously a baby's vibes are very different from an adult's. But I suspect that a cat would know the difference between a human baby and adult, just as it would know the difference between a kitten and an adult cat.

Babies have a special smell that animals recionise. I think. At least puppies have a special baby smell.

• Rick

oh yeah !!!!!    ......................................