Why don’t TV networks allow time for end credits anymore nowadays?

Some old TV shows had catchy tunes that played through the end credits and other shows had final scenes that aired through the credits. But now, the networks just speed through the credits on a generic black sidebar on the screen

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Time is money spent on more advertisements. Even half hour sitcoms run for 20 minutes and one hour shows have been reduced to 41 minutes.  

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Grey's Anatomy does it where they have the actors names, but don't show what character they were playing. Lethal Weapon is another one. I LOVE the black actor Murtaugh ( he has kind eyes) but at the beginning they show two actors names and I don't know which is which. I'm amazed the actors let them get away with it. Surely it's important in their trade to get their name out there? And no - why should I get up and do the job of the program executives by googling it?

• 3 months ago

Better question - Why do TV shows even HAVE credits anymore?  IMDB makes them irrelevant.  The show should just post credits online so that IMDB and anyone else can get them.

But that time is useful time during which the show can pimp other shows or play advertising or whatever.  Why waste it on a redundancy?

• 3 months ago

Because they make money from commercials and not end credits. 

• Anonymous2 months agoReport

That's just stupid. Won't the make more money on commercials if people know the NAMES of the actors where more people will watch a certain program because their favourite actor is on it?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

They increased the commercial time so the shows are getting shorter so they don't have time for credits.

• audrey
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Cause they're in a hurry to show yet ANOTHER commercial!

• 3 months ago

Long ago actors' unions (and unions of people who work on TV shows) negotiated that their names would be in the credits.  But nobody watches them anyway, and that time is worth real money to the TV networks.  So they speed through the credits, or shrink them to a narrow bar so they can fill the rest of the screen with a promo (i.e. an ad for the network or station itself, because sponsors won't pay for ads shown this way).

• 3 months ago

maybe they dont have time for that

• Mary
    Lv 4
    3 months ago

its all about getting money. If they play the credits, they won't get as much money as they do playing ads.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.