Converting a desktop tower to SFF ?

Hi, picked up a HP elite desk tower the other day. I was surprised at how big it was! I'm wondering how hard it would be/if it's evven possible to move the motherboard and some of the components 2* SSD, wireless Card etc into a new case. 

And if this is possible, how would I go about finding a case that fits it?

It's not hard , but there are a lot of considerations to think about. The main ones being the size of the motherboard, disks , power supply and expansion cards. Having upgraded peoples PCs before by putting a new motherboard in, I do have experience of this. The days of large motherboards are over, and all modern ones are small, so you may of may not be able to go to a smaller case. The power supply is reasonably standard size but not all cases have cutouts in the same place for the PSU power.

I'm assuming the SSDs are small in factor, so should not be a problem but who uses a wireless card these days when you can use a small USB one.

If you are confident with all this, you can probably do it yourself though nowadays cases for sale tend to be over the top gaming ones, with big fans , LED lights, etc

Best not to, Computer companies use special anti static flooring and units.

In regard to others whom assemble their own, Not every one has the same static profile.

there are also returns consideration, 

you have to see if it works per item, companies use swap out check points and returns contract.

handling can damage...

Source(s): industry.

I wouldn't bet on being able to move the components into a small-form-factor case.  Many nano-ATX and micro-BTX motherboards have only two expansion slots, and SFF cases are designed around this limitation.  The power supply is the sure strike; as a rule,. SFF cases are unable to fit ATX power supplies, as I know from firsthand experience rebuilding an emachines®/acer® EL1210-09 for ubuntu® 18.04.3-LTS (I had to modify the case for a 550W Shuttle® PC6300001 to replace the stock LITEON®, which could only supply 220W total).  Additionally, most SFF cases require half-height expansion cards such as the msi® GT610-1GD3-LP video display adapter and SYBA® SD-PEX15022 dual-EIA-571 card currently in the EL1210.  Probably the farthest downsize possible is into a µATX case, which has provisions for four expansion cards and can take most (but not all) ATX power supplies.

motherboards come in standard sizes, ATX, ITx, etc. you measure the mobo and look up the size, then get any case that'll support that size mobo.

the other bits to look out for: check the size of your power supply [some boxes have an odd, small size psu] and the length of your gpu. Make sure these will fit into the new case you select

I recommend you find something else to do......

Go to a computer specialist shop & ask. It is possible.

By removing each component one at a time inside the chassis.......