Rowan asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 2 months ago

Leaving older brother off of "household" on Medicaid application? Please help?

I am 22. My mom had a stroke last year and is on Medicare, so I have been removed from her insurance. I am now applying for my state's Medicaid. I make $11/hr. working security, and need health insurance for some knee issues. I am having to list members of the home/household, and I called and they said that is not dependents, but whoever lives in the house. I listed my younger sister who is in high school and my younger brother who is home from college. Neither of them, or my mom, currently has an income. My older brother is currently living at home and is an EMT. He makes more than I do by probably 30%. My aunt, who helps with this stuff, told me that she wouldn't list him as he isn't a significant contributor to household income, and since he makes more than I do, he will lower what is given to me by the state. What do I do here? Why do I need to add him if his income has VERY little to do with my ability to obtain health insurance??

Household income is household income...I dont understand why you are confused...

You can argue against it, but thats the rule.  

It makes no difference whether someone makes significant income or not. He IS a member of the household - he lives there, so list him. Otherwise, you are committing fraud. Let them decide whether they will consider him or not. It is not your position to do so.

You must list everyone who lives there, even there income has NOTHING to do with your ability. Eligibility for medicaid is based on the total of ALL income of EVERYONE in the household and on the TOTAL number of humans living in the household. You need to add him so that they know how many humans live in the household.

• Judith

You do NOT follow your aunt's advice.  To leave him off the application would be FRAUD - fraud is lying to obtain something you wouldn't otherwise obtain - or what you THINK you wouldn't otherwise obtain.

If caught who will pay the penalty - you or your aunt?  Don't lie.  And in the future, don't ask your aunt for advice about anything.  Her advice can't be trusted; she obviously has no respect for the law.

Most government forms tells you the penalty for fraud in the area just above where you sign.  If there on your form, you might want to read it and give it some thought.

• car253

Not fraud if brother is not living there on a permanent basis

• Eva

Because that's the LAW. Your ability to obtain health insurance either through Medicaid or through the marketplace is based on the total income of your household. Leaving your brother off the application is fraud. You can be arrested for that and you won't be able to obtain any government assistance for years. Your household income probably eliminates you from Medicaid, but you may qualify for their essentials plan. Your total household income isn't very high for 5 people. All you can do is try, but do it the right way.

You can't give false information on a  government  form....that's fraud if you do give BS information which is.punishable by fines and or jail time.

Be honest with what they require of you.