Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 2 months ago

Accidentally killing a baby ? ?

I have a serious question I can’t seem to find anywhere , so let’s get this straight I don’t have a baby or a kid , I’m speaking theoretically what would happen if a mom or dad happens to be a heavy sleeper and has a baby in bed with then and falls asleep and rolls over the new born when they were asleep and kills the baby ? By suffocating or crushing by accident ? Really curious I just seen people with babies on they’re chest but isn’t that a risk factor of this happening ? Does it happen has it happened I’m so curious 

• Sky

When that happens the parent(s) get charged with at least involuntary manslaughter, or perhaps gross negligence causing death.

google it, there is alot of accidental killings..leaving a kid in a car till it dies is usually negligence and killing a kid..

Kids drowning is negligence and killing a kid.

the list goes on.

• LizB

If a parent is a heavy enough sleeper they'd risk rolling over on someone, they shouldn't bedshare. Most parents can safely bedshare, but definitely should NOT do so if they take medications known to cause drowsiness, or use brain chemistry altering substances of any kind (alcohol, pot, hallucinogens, etc). Most of the time when you hear about a baby who was smothered in bed by a bedsharing parent, the parent was under the influence of alcohol or some other drug. The substance in their system blocked normal parental waking reactions to their child being upset or in distress.

You might note I'm saying "bedsharing" and not co-sleeping. That's because "cosleeping" includes ways of sleeping near baby that don't have baby directly in the parental bed. It can include having baby near mom but in his own space (like a cot or sidecar sleeper), or in a completely separate space but in the same room. My husband and I did this with our babies the first 3 months, but baby slept in a bassinet, not in bed with us.

• Edna

It's almost impossible for a parent to roll  over on his baby who's in bed with him and suffocate or crush the  baby. A parent's inborn instinct will prevent him from doing so. Besides, the parent could physically feel that he had rolled over on the baby, regardless of how heavy a sleeper the parent is.

If a parent rolls over on a baby and suffocates it or crushes the baby, it was no accident. The parent intentionally did so.

Yes, it happens and it's profoundly tragic.

It's usually investigated by law enforcement and an autopsy is performed. If there is no evidence of criminal behavior, the case gets closed as an accident.

From what I can gather, although it is a common practice in other countries, it is not so much endorsed in North America. I found this article that does seem to be the most comprehensive so far.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/21/us/erin-piche-p...

• zeno

That is why it's best not to sleep with your baby

And put it in a baby bed near your bed. Babies

Also need over 12 hours of sleep. So keep it

Quiet when you get up in the morning.

That can't happen. The human body is evolved so that a baby inside a mother's uterus would be safe. Otherwise we would be extinct if what toy said happens. Think about the cavemen that sleep in trash conditions and still have a baby