Can all computers copy + paste?

Someone in my class said their computer cant copy + paste I find this very hard to believe since all computers should be able to copy + paste.. right? Either she's very stupid and doesn't know how or, her device is broken/just cant copy + paste.

Attachment image

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Not all computers can copy and paste no, in some educational or business places this function is disabled. You have to type everythng, this is on purpose so you cant take confidential information from one system and put it into an email easily. So no its not stupid it might  just be dissabled.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Master of Puppets has the best answer for you here. So what you should do is  show her how to do it and then you will know if it's her lack of know-how in the copy/paste process or whether her computer is malfunctioning.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Did you bother trying to explain the process, or just come to Y!A to be a douche.

• yep2 months agoReport

i did explain how you can cut and copy to them so stop thinking random shlt

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

She is very stupid.   Someone needs to show her the different ways to cut / copy / paste.   From the keyboard:  Select the item you want to copy.   CTL+C is Copy.

CTL + X is Cut,   CTL + V is paste.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

Is she blonde?               

• yep2 months agoReport

no 

• Bort
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

All computerized devices have some form of copy/paste capability. Either her device is broken or she doesn't know how to do it on that device.

• 3 months ago

It's possible in all versions of Windows, and on Linux and Mac machines. I doubt if your schoolmate has any other operating system.

• 3 months ago

Back before GUIs (Graphical User Interfaces, like Mac and Windows), all computers had text-based interfaces.  You would type something and the computer would respond by typing something.  (I used DOS, CP/M and Unix.)

In every operating system I used in those days, the line you typed was stored in a buffer and you could have the computer re-type it for you and you could change certain characters.  But you couldn't copy and paste that line, at least not like you would in a text processor or by highlighting it and hitting CTRL-C like we do today.

And some of the earlier, more primitive home computers, like Sinclair from the UK, may not even have had this capability.

That might have been what she meant.

• 3 months ago

physical devices? yes absolutely.

operating systems? Yes tho text based ones have actual command you have to use for that functionality as opposed to key combo.

• 3 months ago

Yes, all major OS should be able to copy/paste. For Windows/Linux systems, it is usually Ctrl+C (copy) and Ctrl+V (paste). It is similar for Mac computers, except you use the Command key instead of the Ctrl key. Alternatively, you can just highlight what you want to copy, and right click and then click on "Copy".

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.