Is it fun to travel by Amtrak?

I am thinking about taking a vacation and am unsure about flying. How is it to travel by amtrak? Are the trains clean, is it fun, safe, etc? What is your experience?

• drip

My daughter has taken the Amtrak several times.  It is clean and pretty safe.  But often delayed.  

Her friends have taken the train from Chicago to San Francisco 4 or 5 times now, The train has always been delayed. One time for six hours. 

We just took the Amtrak from Davis Ca to Santa Clara Ca.  The snack car was very nice. Comfortable and clean.  But it rocked side to side so much we got train sick.

We have never had trouble finding a seat, but that may depend on the route 

Train travel is lovely, although the US trains aren't as nice as the European trains, and the Japanese ones are the best. But you have leg room, you can get up and walk around, and it's quite safe (though not as safe as plane travel) 

• MS

Some people love it, some people hate it.  It certainly depends on your seating.  The trains are clean enough and safe enough.  I wouldn't call it fun unless you just like looking at passing scenery.

Oh hell no. We took Amtrak from New York to Boston (4 hour ride) and it was no fun at all. I think it was overbooked so we were trying to find seats, any seats. Eventually we found seats but we were all over the place. The plug that I needed to charge my iPhone wasn’t working and my portable charger was low so I had to conserve my usage. No fun when there’s nothing to do. The Amtrak internet was slow if you can get a signal.